Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I did a complete radiator flush yesterday which consists of draining the radiator after warm it upcompletely (remove hose even) for draining,fill again with fresh water run till warm and do it again. I do this one more time (3 times in all) and disconnet andreconnect the hoses every time and then the final time I install the Honda line antifreeze, suppose I could use Prestone and others, but I've always stuck with the OEM.

Went for my ride, heat it up to check for air gaps and all. On return I topped it off again. OK, so I decide to go for another ride 20 miles out, to get coffee of course. After returning to the bike I see antifreeze on the ground, crap. OK, get on it head for home, I notice the temp gauge wavering up and down, never got to the hot side but moving a lot. Got home, went in for a while to let it cool, come outside and sure enough the pool of antifreeze sitting under the bike. I remove the cowl, check the hoses nothing wrong there. remove enough tuperware on the top end to check out the overflow and guess what. The grommet that goes into the bottle was cracked. That is why it leaked only when I stopped and pressure would fill the bottle enough to let it spill out the top.

So I only say all this as one should always check that grommet while doing any radiator work. A year ago, you had to buy the whole recovery bottle just to get the grommet, you can now buy just the grommet:clapper:. I bought two. Of course I just put some silicone on it for now so I can still ride until I get the new ones in the mail. :action:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi bob you know you only have to remove the drain plug on the pump to flush i have see a lot of thoes gromets leak from pulling and pushing on them

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Ya, I know, but when I do a flush I like to make sure I get all I can of the sediment out. I have a habit of overdoing things. Just me.:action:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.