Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
'96 gl1500
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you I am in love with my 1500 and hate it's stereo system (if that is what you call that). My question is 'Has anyone come up with a modern replacement that covers all the currant sites like MP3, etc. and fits somehow (hopefully acethically) in the 1500 counsel. I want to bring my Wing into the 21st century acoustically.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
There is some info on another Goldwing site. While the admins here are the greatest and most generous about cross posting, I'll not include the link as of yet.

But, to be honest, why? Just forget the Honda system and buy some nice Bluetooth headsets. They will give you FM, iTunes, intercom, GPS and all the 21st century technology.

·
Premium Member
'96 gl1500
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is some info on another Goldwing site. While the admins here are the greatest and most generous about cross posting, I'll not include the link as of yet.

But, to be honest, why? Just forget the Honda system and buy some nice Bluetooth headsets. They will give you FM, iTunes, intercom, GPS and all the 21st century technology.
Thanks Andy. I have that already and am not satisfied with the results. Especially somewhere where I wanted the bikes speakers ($400 invested) to impart the sound without having to resort to outside speakers. I really don't like that source to be my helmet. I have seen multiple stereo implants on 1500's and they all looked hokey. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good looking, good working, modern unit, that would fit.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,854 Posts
this is from 2017

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
So....you already have the new speakers and want to use them. You can add MP3 to the existing system if that would help. Four ways to do this.

You can plug a FM transmitter into the headphone jack on your iPod, phone (with a headset jack) or Discman. Tune the stock radio to the appropriate frequency and ride on.

You can insert a switched input on the antenna cable which has a common headphone jack. Switch it on to play anything on your music source.

You can purchase a device that goes in to the cassette tape slot and provides connection for a common headphone cable.

You can modify your radio to have an auxiliary input jack for a headphone cable. This can be a DIY project or Sierra Electronics will do it for you at a reasonable price.

I suppose if you truly want to bring your bike in to this century, you could buy a new 2021. 😁

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Google "Unobtainium 2.1" for a blanking panel that will let you mount whatever you want in the stock location.
There is also a German replacement called Eagle 1500 that looks promising, but doesn't seem like it's quite finished and has US distribution.
I have yet to see someone integrate the stock display, CB, and intercom into a replacement sound system. Everyone has different ideas about what is a dealbreaker for features to add and leave out.

·
Premium Member
'96 gl1500
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So....you already have the new speakers and want to use them. You can add MP3 to the existing system if that would help. Four ways to do this.

You can plug a FM transmitter into the headphone jack on your iPod, phone (with a headset jack) or Discman. Tune the stock radio to the appropriate frequency and ride on.

You can insert a switched input on the antenna cable which has a common headphone jack. Switch it on to play anything on your music source.

You can purchase a device that goes in to the cassette tape slot and provides connection for a common headphone cable.

You can modify your radio to have an auxiliary input jack for a headphone cable. This can be a DIY project or Sierra Electronics will do it for you at a reasonable price.

I suppose if you truly want to bring your bike in to this century, you could buy a new 2021. 😁
Hi Andy
Yeah. New speakers front and rear. I tried the radio modification and was not adept enough to make the solder connection. Blew that. Have another radio in the bike now. Not able to upgrade the bike into the 21st century. Might be on my last year next year anyway. Getting old. I can suffer thru not modernizing my system. Just thinking there might be a quick fix. I appreciate your reply Andy. Thanks. And, this ain't over til it's over.

·
Premium Member
'96 gl1500
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Google "Unobtainium 2.1" for a blanking panel that will let you mount whatever you want in the stock location.
There is also a German replacement called Eagle 1500 that looks promising, but doesn't seem like it's quite finished and has US distribution.
I have yet to see someone integrate the stock display, CB, and intercom into a replacement sound system. Everyone has different ideas about what is a dealbreaker for features to add and leave out.
this is from 2017

Thanks John. I'll do a search for that mount. Sounds worth looking at.

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts

You are correct about the inability to integrate the CB and intercom if the OP chooses to go aftermarket. But... there is a solution. When I had my 1500 and went with the original aftermarket stereo mount created by a gentleman in Belarus (user name escapes me right now) I ended up installing the J&M CB dual kit JMCB-2003 and that probably worked even better than the Honda CB but also incorporated 2 leads, one for driver and one for passenger, which provided the intercom as well. The only downside was that the JMCB uses a 6 pin setup instead of the 5 pin setup. Since I already had J&M headsets with removable cords at the time, it was an easy swap to use the proper cords.

·
Administrator
61,854 Posts
Yes
Bluthunder used a brand new Firecreek panel that I bought at one of our rally auctions

He then found a manufacturer that copied that mold and made a lot of 1500 owners very happy.

·
Premium Member
1991 GL1500 Interstate Cinnamon Beige
558 Posts
The firecreek panel (from John as he states) that I had a mold made for was the Unobtainium 2.0 for the ignition panel, , , the Unobtainium 2.1 is the panel I had a mold made for used to blank-off the area, seamlessly, where the OEM stereo went. The blank off is flush with the centerdeck and many of the 21st century stereos with bluetooth, Aux-in, MP3, and all the other bells & whistles will fit if the 3" of clearance below the panel is adhered to. A few folks have been successful with keeping the left handlebar controls with a new stereo.

Some ideas;
Light Gadget Automotive lighting Audio equipment Electrical wiring

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas

Vehicle Automotive design Gas Machine Auto part

·
Administrator
61,854 Posts
that looks nice Bluthunder....

I just got a PM back from "John Grimes" on Facebook and he says that the guy who made up his panel, will need 10 orders minimum to make anymore of them.

I gave him a link to this thread, so hopefully he will come along and tell us more?

·
Registered
1 Posts
that looks nice Bluthunder....

I just got a PM back from "John Grimes" on Facebook and he says that the guy who made up his panel, will need 10 orders minimum to make anymore of them.

I gave him a link to this thread, so hopefully he will come along and tell us more?
Here it is here

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
That’s a slick product,looks to injection mold.

·
Registered
gl1500
4 Posts
These are a lot of great ideas out there, but this is the route I chose. The sound is amazing from this combination of components. Roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. :)

Kicker KMC2 head unit (boat/marine radio) with Kicker PXiRCX remote.
Scosche DO01B power/speaker harnesses to connect to the factory harness for power.
Speakers: Kicker 40PS44
AMP: Kicker PXA300.4
Filler panel: Fabricated aluminum with faux carbon fiber wrap.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Asphalt

Gadget Computer Camera accessory Cameras & optics Audio equipment

Watch Gadget Clock Measuring instrument Speedometer

Camera accessory Marine vhf radio Two-way radio Auto part Machine

Bumper Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Gas

·
Registered
6 Posts
These are a lot of great ideas out there, but this is the route I chose. The sound is amazing from this combination of components. Roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. :)

Scosche DO01B power/speaker harnesses to connect to the factory harness for power.
Filler panel: Fabricated aluminum with faux carbon fiber wrap. View attachment 327650
View attachment 327649
View attachment 327648
View attachment 327647
View attachment 327646

Filler panel: Fabricated aluminum with faux carbon fiber wrap. View attachment 327650
View attachment 327649
View attachment 327648
View attachment 327647
View attachment 327646
Love this set up. Where can I get the Fabricated panel?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts