Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Need a bit of help, had to strip a mates radio cassette player today to get out a tape, that was stuck, first thing I noticed was the cassette door would not release, in the end I had to wind the tape out manually, he was also complaining of a low volume problem, after checking the mute button I am thinking the 2 problems are related, I have checked all the fuses, including the fuses in the relay box just in case.
to sum up there seems to be no power to the cassette, hence the jammed tape, it does not take a tape in as you would expect the deck to do, it just sits by the door the radio does work but on a low volume.

Is there a hidden fuse?

Thanks in advance for any help

Nick
Welsh Winger

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Jamie Simpson wrote:
Check the backup 5amp fuse
in the relay box (not the fuse box)... connected issues/symptoms.. volume, cassette door and clock...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

derekhendry wrote:
Ask Viv, i think he has had the same problem
Yes Derek it is Vivs Bike and he does not know either

seems there is always one, trouble is its the same one every time. :D

Other than Derek, thanks for the tips.

Nick
Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I have the same exact problem! My clock works fine though. I checked the fuses in the main and relay box and they are all good as well as the power to the back of the radio. It plays, but at very low volume, and it won't hold any presets or open the cassette door. I know it has to be a wire that is supposed to be hot all the time and isn't.....but the only one I can find in the schematic is the yellow/red one...it is hot all the way to the radio too. I wonder if there is a fuse inside the radio?? If anybody has a number, to anybody that I can call, who may have a fix, I would be eternally grateful!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

1WINGMAN4U Thank you for your reply I knew this was not the first time it has happened.

Wayne A confirmation of one of the faults I had thought of so thanks, I will have a look to see if it easy to find, I will be contacting you at sierra.

Nick
Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

I would check your mute switch, if the switch isn't grounding, your mute function will take over. The white (common)wire is spliced normally to take care of the mute function as well as the tuning up and down function.

Recently I did away with a faulty tuning switch and had to ground the wire for the volume to play at normal levels.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Wayne wrote:
Has an open trace on circuit board that controls back up voltage. Usually shows sign of corrosion at point of break.
Thanks for the input Wayne! Is it very expensive to get it fixed if this is the only problem with the radio? Also, what is the address and turn around time for Sierra? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

I know the backup 5-amp fuse in the relay box controls power input for the clock and the memory presets for the radio. If the clock holds it's memory for time, then that verifies the 5-amp backup fuse is good.

If that fuse is good, then I think Wayne is spot on with the correction.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,778 Posts
imported post

1WINGMAN4U wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Has an open trace on circuit board that controls back up voltage. Usually shows sign of corrosion at point of break.
Thanks for the input Wayne! Is it very expensive to get it fixed if this is the only problem with the radio? Also, what is the address and turn around time for Sierra? Thanks again!
Since Wayne is "in the business" I will answer for him. They reportedly fix 90% for a max of $100 and always call you to affirm if it ever goes over that amount.

for what you are describing, I would think it would be on their shop bench and on the way to your door in about a day.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Hi! Hey, Sierra is a fantastic place for our radio problems! They do it all, and I must say you won't find a better price, or service. I sent in a screwed up CB off my 1500SE, and they completely went through it, repairing several problems,and had it back to my door in 6-7 days, for exactly $100.00! Pretty cheap. I had several local riders tell me about good repair work by Sierra, so when my CB went crazy, it was a no brainer to send it to them! I would suggest at least $800.00 worth of postal insurance, which cost me about $18.00, but that would replace it with a new one if something was to happen to it enroute.( now that's a CB, so a radio cassette would be more than that to replace). Give em a call, nice people to work with, for sure. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

I agree with Jimsjinx, my riding friend sent his CB to Sierra for repair and they corrected the problem. Plus they gave him a lot of other good information while on the phone with them.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

I agree with Jimsjinx, my riding friend sent his CB to Sierra for repair and they corrected the problem. Plus they gave him a lot of other good information while on the phone with them.

How do I delete the double post? Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

A big fat THANK YOU to Wayne @ Sierra for the reply about the open trace on the circuit board! This must be a recurring problem as he was SPOT ON with his guess. My brother being a bit of a wiring and circuit board wiz, was able to find and repair the problem in less than a half hour. All we had to do was run a jumper wire between the points on the board that were supposed to be connected and weren't.......piece of cake for us, but could be a problem for peeps who don't know wiring and boards though. This is truly a great forum with people who care about their wings and those who ride them!!;):action:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.