Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, picked up a spare engine for mates trike as his has a noisy tappet.

We turned the engine by hand before fitting starter to spin fast enough to check compression, 5 cylinders great 1 zero, took off rocker cover to find inlet rocker end snapped off(piece found) picture attached.
Has anybody seen anything like this before? No damage visible on piston crown using borescope.
Thanks all
Bryan
Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Engineering Machine

·
Premium Member
12,898 Posts
I have not seen this before . Have you tried and found the valve moves with ease?

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, it went dark. At present the only idea we have is a valve siezed to guide but i would have thought the stiction would give before the rocker fractured even if the valve stayed open, luckily we have a spare head as well.

This is a forever trike, i did post pics of the artwork which has already raised 1,000's for the Royal British Legion

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,987 Posts
well,
if that is going to be the 'new good motor'
steal the rocker arm(s) out of the current motor.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will probably use parts from spare heads that came seperate, just wanted to know if it had been seen before so we could check absolutely everything necessary.
Thanks for the help
Bryan

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
When it broke the valve closed so being closed thers not anything for the piston to hit.🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

·
1,838 Posts
I have not seen this on a 1500 GW but on cars it is a normal consequential damage from a timing belt problem
I would at least do an leak down test on that cylinder

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont have the luxury of a comressor and leak down kit since i gave up workshop work.
I think it was stood too long and stem siezed in guide, previous owner said he turned it over regular but who knows and also how long was it stood before he got it. Other 5 pots all similar compression so if valve will move we will fit a rocker and turn over with cover off slowly before trying comp again.
Thanks all for the ideas, its always good to bounce them when something out of the ordinary turns up.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Before you do anything, why don't you see if the valve is free? If not you will be pulling the head anyway. That intake port looks like it was full of rust or something based on the different color in your photo.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You should be able to just push the valve with hammer handle to see if it’s frozen or tap on it with a wood block n hammer,
after looking closer,
a heavy flat blade screwdriver might be used between the broken rocker and valve to see if it’s free.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

Moved valvewith lever, tight but not what i would call siezed, moved it a few times, replaced rocker and even compression on all 6 now so a result.

Thanks all for bearing with us and for ideas plus encouragement

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sound like some freak issue,could
have been from thefactory and if it happens again the same effect will happen,no damage except broken rocker

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It had been stood a while so maybe just tight in guide, who knows, it now works so saved time, effort and cost of removing head

1 - 15 of 15 Posts