Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 1988 1500 has started surging. In 1st gear when starting to roll the throttle/clutch combination that worked fine last week causes the bike to stall. I have to race the engine to get it rolling. At all speeds it's tough to maintain a constant speed. Add a little throttle and it jumps forward, not very smooth. On the highway with cruise control engaged the bike will decelarateand accelerate never maintaining a constant speed. I've changed the air filter, fuel filter, plugs, and run 2 cans of Seafoam through it. Anyone seen this, it's getting a little scary to ride in traffic, but still to much fun to give up.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
imported post

`
First thing you need to try is Sea Foam. A full can in the gas tank.

2nd item is to inspect the vacuum lines for leaks. The worst one is on the left side, going to a port between the rear and center cylinder. It makes a very tight 180* bend that makes it want to slip off the port. Pull that line back, snip off 3/8" of the line and slide it back on.

Try those two items first, drive out the full tank of Sea Foam treated fuel and report back to us.

Another item to double check on now is the choke. Does it have full freedom of movement? Remove the air cleaner, inspect the gasket between it and the base of the housing. Check the gasket below the housing.

Operate the "choke" (fuel enrichment) lever and see if both slides work the same. Use a screwdriver to operate both slides. Do they both return quickly and completely when you let loose?

G

·
imported post

Mine did that and the problem was the vacuum lines were colapsing and rotten. I changed a total of 6 vacuum lines.
Also check the carb slides. Make sure they are working the same. Mine weren't the right side vacuum slide was busted and wouldn't let it rev like the left. That part cost me about 100 dollars.GOOD LUCK....
Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

If you've already run a couple cans of SeaFoam through it, I'd check for vacuum leaks as recommended. I found a bunch of ugly vacuum line when I had my '88 apart. '88s and '89s had some carb issues "built in" from the factory, complete with a recall.

Ifall your hoses areokay, it might just be time for a good carb teardown and cleaning. I replaced my '88 carbs with '95 units, which I got for cheap, and overhauled before installing.

Before you start, make sure you have both straight and 45 degree 10 inch needlenose pliers in your tool arsenal. They will pay for themselves instantly.

If you replace the needle/seat assemblies - try to get Keihin parts. Also, hope you don't need new slide/diaphragm assemblies - as Tommy said, they are expensive. I needed both (ouch)- Ron Ayers has 'em new for $90.00 each (best I could do).

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

we just got through doing mine we found where the carbs and manifolds meet, the rubber boots were bad

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. NE weather hasn't given me much time to work.
While I have it open can someone answer a quick question. Starting it with the air filter off it idles okay with the choke off. Adding choke creates a high pitched air whistleing sound. Is this normal or would it be caused by a vacume leak?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Yep, sounds(literally) like a vac. leak! jimsjinx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.