Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The cruise control button of my 2000 SE worked fine during the ride but it decided not to pop back out when I wanted to cancel it. When I got home with the wing in the garage and motor off, everything off including the key in lock position, I pushed the button several times, it popped out, but now it will not want to stay in the cruise mode (button in), with or without motor running.The switch broken? or something else I need to check. Many thanks in advance. Hai

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

HPham wrote:
The cruise control button of my 2000 SE worked fine during the ride but it decided not to pop back out when I wanted to cancel it. When I got home with the wing in the garage and motor off, everything off including the key in lock position, I pushed the button several times, it popped out, but now it will not want to stay in the cruise mode (button in), with or without motor running.The switch broken? or something else I need to check. Many thanks in advance. Hai
Sounds like it needs cleaned. I've had mine apart several times as I was having cruise problems. Using a contact cleaner in there should help clean it out. If you can take it apart it would be better. Theres three screws on the bottom that come out then the assembly comes apart. Its not to difficult if you have some mechanical ability. Hold a rag under it or as I did, I wrapped one around the area.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Are we talking about the main on/off button for the cruise? I've never turned mine off. Why the need? Just cancel the cruise with one of the micros and you're good until you want to use it again.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Are we talking about the main on/off button for the cruise? I've never turned mine off. Why the need? Just cancel the cruise with one of the micros and you're good until you want to use it again.
+1..Go to radio shack and buy some electronics cleaner , then once it works leave it alone...when u wanna cancel the cruise either tap a brake pedal or lever or tap clutch..it will cancel it....i never turn my cruise off...

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

tmdriverwannabe wrote:
wpgfire wrote:
+1..Go to radio shack and buy some electronics cleaner , then once it works leave it alone...when u wanna cancel the cruise either tap a brake pedal or lever or tap clutch..it will cancel it....i never turn my cruise off...
Thats what I do. I never turn mine off!!!!!!!!!!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

This is what I use, works great on the sticking buttons, and don't have to dismantle.:smiler:

Gene:action:

Precision ElectronicsCleaner from Radio Shack.:claps:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I did spray electronics cleaner into the sides of the button several months ago to have it pop out (OFF position.) It worked for a while until this weekend. Now I have a reverse problem, the button won't stay in the ON position. Once this is fixed I'll leave cruise control on like some of you suggested. You think more cleaner will do the trick... to make the button stay in ON position? Will try and see. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

The cleaner may work, but the best solution is to disassemble it, clean it, and then put a little dielectric grease back in. The switch is supposed to have a little grease in there to keep it moving smoothly. While spraying the cleaning fluid in there gets out the dirt, it also removes the grease.

Sometimes the shortcut ends up costing you more time and money than it was worth.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I did not disassemble the swith itself, only removed the 2 screws and opened up the top housing which holds the switches. The switch looked very clean from the outside, I gave it several squirts of the compressed air, then pushed the button a few times. It stayed in the ON postion....that's where I left it and will leave it ON from now on. Does this harm anything? Thanks.
Hai

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

HPham wrote:
I did not disassemble the swith itself, only removed the 2 screws and opened up the top housing which holds the switches. The switch looked very clean from the outside, I gave it several squirts of the compressed air, then pushed the button a few times. It stayed in the ON postion....that's where I left it and will leave it ON from now on. Does this harm anything? Thanks.
Hai
Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!! Mines been on for the year plus I have had it.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
imported post

Mine was stuck in, but the cruise worked OK so I didn't worry about it. At Wing Ding this year I had a problem with the starter switch. A Honda mechanic at Wing Ding told me to drown it with WD40. The main cruise switch then started working. Don't need to take it apart to do this. Spray it into the hole around the switch. This will clean and lubricate it. But like most said, once the cruise is turned on, there is no need to turn it off.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

gladmaker wrote:
Mine was stuck in, but the cruise worked OK so I didn't worry about it. At Wing Ding this year I had a problem with the starter switch. A Honda mechanic at Wing Ding told me to drown it with WD40. The main cruise switch then started working. Don't need to take it apart to do this. Spray it into the hole around the switch. This will clean and lubricate it. But like most said, once the cruise is turned on, there is no need to turn it off.
The wd-40 may work for a while it does have the capacity to gum up inside. The contact type cleaner is the correct one to use. A dab of dilectric grease on the contacts wouldn't hurt either. I use something called copper graphite grease. I use it on most all electrical contacts including the battery to stop corrosion, that me though.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

Mine ate itself. I just took it out and tied the 2 wires together. Now I don't have to mess with turning it off and on.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

IMHO...
BOTH WD-40 and Contact cleaner are incorrect for this problem...
That being said if MY switch were sticking I'd reach for whatever is closer and spritz it in the switch...
WD-40 does get gummy after a time but it generally won't harm the plastic or rubber parts of the switch.
Electrical Contact cleaner is designed for contacts-not plastic or rubber so using it can cause switch parts to distort or swell.
At some point dis-assembly and cleaning will be required so a spritz of WD-40 now and again of either isn't the most evil thing especially if winter maintenance is right around the corner.
I used to hate seeing WD-40 used in this fashion till I saw the damage contact cleaner can do to the actual working parts of the switch. Like I said-when I have a switch problem I'll use whatever's closer and get on the road making a note to clean the switch eventually.
Dunno about drowning the switch with WD - I prefer to use it sparingly but to each his own.
Lastly I know everyone likes to leave cruise on-myself included and everyone asks why turn it off. The only reason I can think of is the dash bulbs indicating cruise on will burn out sooner but otherwise it's no problem.
Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
IMHO...
snip... Electrical Contact cleaner is designed for contacts-not plastic or rubber so using it can cause switch parts to distort or swell.
That is true of some contact cleaners for sure but they make some that is not harmful to plastics. Make sure it says that on the can. My opinion only. :)

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

i sprayed mine with armour all and it unstuck and worked for awhile and now stuck in the on position so i left it on. better on then off so i can use it.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:
IMHO...
snip... Electrical Contact cleaner is designed for contacts-not plastic or rubber so using it can cause switch parts to distort or swell.
That is true of some contact cleaners for sure but they make some that is not harmful to plastics. Make sure it says that on the can. My opinion only. :)
I agree. That is why I use only the Precision Electronics Cleaner, because it will not harm plastic, rubber, or seals, and is approved for use by Honda according to the GWRRA, most professional Goldwing mechanics that I've talked to, and I've used it on motorcycles switches for over 20+ years with no problems.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,372 Posts
imported post

I say fix the problem, clean or repair, then move on with life. If it was the radio switch would we just bypass the switch and turn down the volume when we didn't want to listen to the radio, leaving it on all the time? With what circuitwould this approachend?If I purchased a bike and pulled the housing apart only to find that a dirty switch was bypassed it would make me worry about the rest of the PO repairs. My $0.02.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.