Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, I opted for the Honda OEM replacement disc padsfor my front brakes. I removed the old pads and notice there is no shim as there is with the factory replacements. I am guessing that the shim goes towards the pistons or not at all. Can anybody confirm or correct me on this?

I will be paitently waiting......:)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

CWN,
I paid about $80 for pads only on the front. Discs are in good condition. Just replaced the rear pads and disc. Got the disc from Cyclemax for about $135.00
Still wondering about the shim for the fronts !

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

The Honda pads fit other models as well as the GL1500 Kevin, that's why they come with shims. Your GL1500 won't need them.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Gaswing, The fronts are a heck of a lot easier than the backs. Appreciate the advice.
Kevin

·
1,705 Posts
imported post

From new the 1500 came with shims on one side ,but not on the other (front).
I dont remember which side , but you can see that in the workshop manual , and also in the parts catalog.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Smeden,
Thanks for the reply. I have the Honda 1998 GL1500 Service manual & Electrical troubleshooting manual. The section on brake pad replacement (14-3 thru 14-10) makes no mention or shows no reference to the shim. This is why I posted the question.
The pads have been installed and I still have the shims so I will keep them for now and see what other comments come in.
Temps are going to drop below 0 degrees F tonight so I don't expect to take her out for a test ride for quite a while, Like two months.
Thanks again.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Doesn't matter if you use them, or not.

If you do decide to use them, you can use them on either side, with most people adding them to the piston side, mainly just to 'protect' the ends of the pistons.

Either way, your brakes will work fine, installed, or not! :readit:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Dusty,
Kevin

·
1,705 Posts
imported post

Calripppen
If you take a look on the parts finder(f.eks hdl.parts ), you will see that the shim (expensive , around 10$) is needed for you right front brake !
If you by oem parts they are suplyed with the pads(at least they have been every time for me).

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Smeden, I never looked at the fische close but you're right the whole caliper sub-assembly is different for the left and right, notably the pistons and seals. Good catch, I never saw that before, the pads are the same though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.