Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1500 Se fuel economy

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  morram 
#1 ·
imported post

Whats tke average fuel mileage pulling a dual person sidecar? anyone know? I pidn between 45 and 55mph. So far, I got 35mpg highway, and 30 city. Is this average? Thanks. David

#2 ·
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
Whats tgge average fuel mileage pulling a dual person, anyone know? I pidn between 45 and 55mph. Thanks. David
I've never pulled two people behind my bike yet. . . sounds intriguing.
Kinda like the Midget-tossing contest of the late 70's.

My 1991 1500 gets (2-up) 42-44 with Regular gas and about 32-36 (2-up) with Ethanol-KRAP.
LORD PLEASE make them pull Ethanol off the market! :praying:

#3 ·
imported post

Does not sound to bad maybe.

My 88 1500 is getting around 37mpg riding just me and I don't have a side car, just 2 wheels.
That's cruising mostly around 55mph-60 or so, doing 70mph I get less mpg.

#4 ·
imported post

FM wrote:
Nightrider1 wrote:
Whats tgge average fuel mileage pulling a dual person, anyone know? I pidn between 45 and 55mph. Thanks. David
I've never pulled two people behind my bike yet. . . sounds intriguing.
Kinda like the Midget-tossing contest of the late 70's. 

My 1991 1500 gets (2-up) 42-44 with Regular gas and about 32-36 (2-up) with Ethanol-KRAP. 
LORD PLEASE make them pull Ethanol off the market! :praying:
AMEN!!!!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
imported post

My 90 would get average of 40. Wife 99 with tow pac gets 38. Either bike hooking a trailer looses 3 to 5. So I would say with sidecar that is about right.

#6 ·
imported post

Sounds about right with the added mass/wind resistance. Solo I am 38-40 ish, so your drop in fuel economy seems appropriate.

#7 ·
imported post

Sounds about right... My 93 Aspy will yield around 40-41 solo at speeds of 45-60 MPH... Towing a trailer and 2 up at 65 MPH mileage drops down to around 35-37 MPG... Your mileage with 2 person side car sounds about right to my way of thinking... Also depends a bit on head winds too - a stiff headwind can drop your mileage a few MPG's as well...

Les

#14 ·
imported post

My 91 SE gets around 40ish mpg . If you want to improve on your fuel economy keep her on or below 3000 rpm especially when taking off at the lights and a large windscreen will have a negative impact on your mpg.

#15 ·
imported post

My wife's 88 trike gets about 25mpg.

#16 ·
imported post

Have '95SE/ CSC FriendshipIII; 11 1/2years. If I keep good tires/proper pressure by checking often, change oil/filter regularly, run mid-grade gas 24/7[and use MMO/ enzyme treatment every other tankful]:get consistent 32-34 mpg [depending on how aggresively rig is driven]. Mama rides behind me[sidecarseating position aggravates arthritis in her knees]. Need new plugs now, which will help.
My 2 cents. TTFN.......Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH :thumbsup:

#17 ·
imported post

Well on my 99SE I avg around 40-43MPG on the highway, but that is with 2500-3k rpm shifts, easy starts, easy stopsand 55-60mph running back roads and lot of cruise control.:sleepy:Also one up.

City ~ 32-36mpg.

Yes, I drive like an old man. But I am not afraid to twist the throttle and have the rush of getup and go.:raspberry:

If I run 70+mph >3krpm then it drops to 36, and 75-80 it drop even more to ~32mpg.

If i run 80+ I have been able to watch the gas guage drop.:shock:

Speed is the real killer to mpg.

I also run seafoam (1/2 can per tank)when the idle starts surging with this damn gasohol. :lash:That seems to keep the mileage up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.