Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just swapped motors and engine started right up. Gas has been in tank with stabil for 2 years, but the problem is it won't idle normal. It goes from 800 rpm's to 2000 and back and forth. Could this be from sitting, a build up of crap in the carbs? Or maybe something else? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Pretty much a vacuum leak. Get some carb spray and spray small amounts near places that draw a vacuum. the engine will pick up when you hit the right spot.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Mine just started doing this on Sunday. I thought I got a tank of bad gas. It started about ten or fifteen minutes after I filled at a different station than my normal stop. I'll check for leaks.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I would also guess vacuum leak, but I would not run that gas through it. One of the local shops in town is seeing gas problems with gas that is more that 3 weeks old, and stabil isn't going to make it last forever. With an engine swap there are lots of opportunities for a leak here there and everywhere.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

hurtyougringo wrote:
Just swapped motors and engine started right up. Gas has been in tank with stabil for 2 years, but the problem is it won't idle normal. It goes from 800 rpm's to 2000 and back and forth. Could this be from sitting, a build up of crap in the carbs? Or maybe something else? Any ideas?
> Assuming the carbs work ok, and the gas is ok, then perhaps there's an air leak in the rubber boots that connect the carb to the intake manifold. If you still have everything opened up, might be a good idea to remove the carbs, then apply a thin layer of Air Filter Grease to the mating surfaces of the boots, prior to reinstallation.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Try turning the idle control(by the gas cap) in and out a couple of times. Works best if you have the engine off and the throttle partly open to loosen it up. Then start it back up and see if you can settle it out, turning the knurled knob.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,193 Posts
imported post

Gas around here is not worth a dern either.
It is pretty much a use it or loose it thing.

My 1500 runs awful if left more then 4 weeks w/o starting.
It is Sea Foam again to clean it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.