Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The wife & I arecurrently on a week long ride that tookus thru Yosemite for 3 days & then north to Reno Nvfor the rib cookoff. We've averaged 200+ miles a day.

My problem is the seat on my wing seems to get worse every day. It's like the sides of the seat cushionare collapsing. I'm not getting any support to my cheeks. It's almost like you're sitting on a padded 4x4 board. Your crouch is supported, but your side cheeks are just hanging there. This is resulting ingreat pain in my assets, or the back side of my hips.

To try & solve the problem, I did purchase a Wal-Mart cushion, but this has had no effect in resolving the pain.

For the record the bike is a '97 with 19,000 miles on the odometer.

What to do to make the seat bearable is my question to you.

Thanks in advance for your expertise....-Rich

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Rich from 96 up they made the seat a little bit tinnier on the sides so guys with short legs could reach the ground a bit better i have a jel cushion under the seat cover but as you are on the road i think a sheep skin rug will do wonders for you as it will thicken the seat on both the sides and under your cheeks plus if its hot there it will keep you from getting the monkey butt thing if you have a back rest youcan run it through to the passanger seat if not a bungee cord from side to side will hold it in place so it wont slide around under you

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I put a sheepskin cover on for this trip and it has helped.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

Hi Red,

Just bought one of these pads with the fake sheepskin 1.5 inch high modelhttp://www.softbottom.net/ and it worked wonders for me however here are the caveats...I take short trips, I am 155lbs have a boney butt and ride a 94 GL, also the bike has a road sofa seat which is really a wonderfull seat in itself but is made quite firm for long trips so as not to sink in as time wears on. So...good luck in your search.

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you for everybody's input so far. FYI I do have the sheepskin, (more like a small lamb skin) I bought from IKEA before the trip. My problem is not sweat, but very little or no support.
Also I'm a long haul trucker, & at 500+ miles a day, my rear is conditioned for the long haul. Maybe I should be looking for a replacement seat?
I would hate to spend the $$$ & have the same problem....-Rich

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I have a Corbin Seat on my 1500 and the wife and I love it....have done 500 mile days on it without a problem....now we did add butt buffer pads to it for the long hauls....www.buttbuffer.com

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Any fairly large town should have an auto upholsterer that can do your seat. I was so lucky to have a guy in my town that catered to bike seats. He removed the cover and stayed with the exact same lines as the OE padding and covered it with a 1/4" of 're-bound foam' then slid the old cover back on for a minimal price...the difference was remarkable. His opinion was the original foam gets tired and can cause hot spots when riding. He said the reason he didn't like over the top pads like gel and sheepskin was they move under your but when you shift and that causes discomfort. I know alot of people use and swear by them. I'm just telling you what he said. My seat is still comfortable to this day and it's been quite a few years. He gave me a small piece of the rebound foam, it looks to be little pieces of different color foan compressed and glued together somehow, firm yet soft. Make sure they use that stuff if they re-pad it, or at least ask about it.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Predator wrote:
. . He gave me a small piece of the rebound foam, it looks to be little pieces of different color foan compressed and glued together somehow, firm yet soft.
Same stuff we use in our school buses several years ago. Back then they were 1" to 1.5" thick.

Find an old bus (preferably to be scrapped) and acquire some.
Can be cut to shape with a sharp knife.

:action:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.