Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite always being really careful when I remove my side panels I have managed to break off one of the plastic lugs from the battery side cover. It's the lower lug forward of the battery and the piece that came off has fallen into the frame so no getting it back!

I seem to remember seeing somewhere a repair kit for these but I can't find it now. Has anyone any ideas of a fix? Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Man, if you could fish that pin out, you could fix it easy! I have made a new pin out of epoxy putty, but it was a pain. It's do-able if you are patient and have a Dremel tool and attatchments. jimsjinx

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
They are advertised on fleebay as side cover repair kits studs. $30/2 studs is way too expensive.
There are posts on here of using a screw, sand all paint off around area to be glued so it sticks. Then multiple layers of ABS cement (1 day between light coats so each layer fully cures ) then 2-3 days final cure time. Then some dremel tooling/sanding to shape.
Do it right and it's strong. Not enough cure time....it's prone to break off.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Despite always being really careful when I remove my side panels I have managed to break off one of the plastic lugs from the battery side cover. It's the lower lug forward of the battery and the piece that came off has fallen into the frame so no getting it back!

I seem to remember seeing somewhere a repair kit for these but I can't find it now. Has anyone any ideas of a fix? Thanks
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/86/136689

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Just curious , Ive got a couple broken off, is there anyway a hot glue stick could be used..maybe melt the end to stick to the panel, then dremel the end to fit...:?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Just curious , Ive got a couple broken off, is there anyway a hot glue stick could be used..maybe melt the end to stick to the panel, then dremel the end to fit...
No, hot glue would not adhere for very long... I commonly use it at work, precisely because it is a Temporary Bond, and easily removed from hard materials.

If you're comfortable using a dremel in the first place, then you'd do better to cast a new stud (or repair existing one) using epoxy, such as JB-Weld... Simply apply a glob of it, and make a rough mold using packing or masking tape applied to the surface.. Once cured, peal off the tape and start shaping with the dremel.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
"If only someone on the site had one of those 3-D plastic printers, it would be an easy way to make relpacement part...just a thought. Trying someting now. Just made a mold of one of my "lugs" from the other panel. was able to remove the "mold" and filled with epoxy..will let it harden and see what I come up with...this could be a new enterprise if it works!!;)

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Post repair

Had side cover posts break over the years. Used J B WELD to reattach those not lost on the road. Never attempted to actually cast new post but bet it could be done right on cover IF correct shape mold were made in place, base sealed w/silicone rubber, J B Weld poured inside. Gentle heat [ala low setting on hair dryer] applied to speed cure, remove trapped air bubbles. If I do try it this winter, will post results here. TTFN. :)
Happy Upcoming Thanksgiving To ALL....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Had side cover posts break over the years. Used J B WELD to reattach those not lost on the road. Never attempted to actually cast new post but bet it could be done right on cover IF correct shape mold were made in place, base sealed w/silicone rubber, J B Weld poured inside. Gentle heat [ala low setting on hair dryer] applied to speed cure, remove trapped air bubbles. If I do try it this winter, will post results here. TTFN. :)
Happy Upcoming Thanksgiving To ALL....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH
That is exactly what i am doing right now. Made the mold by casting with clay...just trying to fill the clay mold with JB Weld and letting it cure...should know in a couple of hrs....will also post results and pictures..(if it works!!)

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"If only someone on the site had one of those 3-D plastic printers, it would be an easy way to make relpacement part...just a thought. Trying someting now. Just made a mold of one of my "lugs" from the other panel. was able to remove the "mold" and filled with epoxy..will let it harden and see what I come up with...this could be a new enterprise if it works!!;)
If it works you could sell a million!

Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. I will probably have to order some studs from the US as they don't seem to be about in the UK but in the meantime I might try making one or looking for a car equivalent. Somebody once posted that a Nissan Ultima door panel 'tit' is exactly the right size.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the idea of adding the screw for extra strength.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wingpilot96. Looks like it will do the job well plus doing it that way gives you a bigger base area on the pin to stick to the panel so it should be stronger.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I had the same issue when doing the work on my ' 93. I filed down the surface of the remaining lug until flat, cut the end off a toothbrush (yes, a toothbrush....stop laughing it worked ok..!! :ROFL: and it was just the right shape!), cut the head off a suitable screw, drilled a hole just big enough to use epoxy resin to fix it in to, then screwed the thread (with the toothbrush...er...new lug) into the side cover frame using more epoxy to hold firmly. Anyway, the pics show the result, one original lug, one not quite, but works just fine..!!

Cheers,
Peter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like a very neat job there Peter and strong too. Now..where's my wife's toothbrush!!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Yes I was pleased with the result, and was able to deflect and comment from my wife 'cos I turned it upside down in the toothbrush cup and quickly "legged it" up to the workshop..!! :ROFL:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,628 Posts
I assume you used the neck part of the toothbrush rather than the handle end?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.