Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced a speedometer cable that had gotten worn at the point where the cable passes through the frame under the fairing. The needle had "wobbled" from the day I got the bike. I had also pulled the cable out of the sheath and lubricated liberally, but still had a wobbling needle.

The cable was only $18, but it took some work to get to the back of the instrument cluster to replace the whole thing. Glad I did! The wobble is now gone AND more importantly the cruise is now steady as a rock, where the imputs from the wobbling cable caused it to surge and not hold speed. This is a repair I should not have put off near as long as I did.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I just did mine last night, and found a really Easy way to connect it:

Steps:
1) Feed the cable Up through the (1") round guide beneath the headlight, then back Down to the Wheel, then Back Up to the threaded connection on the speedo... Basically, pull all the Excess cable through the guide, so that you can orient the threaded end Vertically --Otherwise it tends to be mis-aligned during that first effort to engage the threads.
2) Thread the end onto the speedo --This is typically the hard part, but now it will be perfectly aligned (to gravity) because all the slack is sitting atop the front wheel.
3) Pull the slack out of the cable (eg Feed excess back through the guide.
4) Attach lower end.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alex,

Sounds like your way was much easier and quicker. I took the whole front of the bike apart. Of course this provided an excellent opportunity to clean things real well and to perform some other projects on my list while I had it apart.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Hi gang, Can you help me too? I have a 1999 1500 Se and how can I get the top end of the cable attached? I have started to take the front apart but that seems the wrong way. Some say turn the steering. Alex gives a different way. Currently I am changing the front tire and the axel end of the cable is broken, that is why I am replacing it. My hands are large and difficult to get my hand in through the left side. What way should I go. Are there any step by step ways of getting the cable up behind the instrument cluster and threaded on?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Maybe some pics along with Alex's way should be a sticky. At least in the "how to"s . When I did mine, I pulled everything apart too. It gave me the opportunity to clean and check stuff that I never got to see normally. Even so, it didn't take long.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
For maximum work space take the center bridge and both fillers out. My big mits do not play well back there either.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.