Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I started my 1999, 1500 Goldwing Trike this morning and went 6 miles to the gas station to fill up, then whenI tried starting the bike again and the starter only made a click. Afterpushing the starter butten about a dozen times it finaly started.Is my starter going out or is there something else I should check?

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Could be any one of manythings-from the starter button, to the solinoid, to the battery being low, to a bad ground, to the starter itself. Start with the simplest stuff, ie spray clean the button switch, and check any or all of the other things till you locate the problem. There are loads of info right here in the archives. Just do a search on some key words.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

bet it needs starter brushes,
Disconect the two wires going to the starter then use jump leads to the starter if it fails or does not turn every time you connect, the starter is faulty (brushes)quite easy to change them just takes some time starter is easy to remove one bolt is a fiddle but thats about it takes about the same time to remove it as it does for the alt.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

What was the final out come of your problem. I think I'm having the same issue now with mine. Its intermittent on mine.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I think The problem with mine was just in the starter button. I took it apart, lubricated it well before putting back together and its worked great so far.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Dirty starter button seems to be the culprit for the most part. Every season, I spray mine with a good, Teflon contact cleaner, make sure the connections are clean and tight, and a fully charged battery.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I had just that problem with a 94 1500 I have been working on. Thinking it was just the starter button contacts being dirty I opened it up to clean it. When I pushed the button in I noticed that the entire switch body was moving backwards and would not engage until I gave it an extra hard push. There is one screw holding the switch in place and from years of starting the screw hole had expanded thus the movement. Also the button itself was hitting against the holder. So I took a small file and dressed up around the button "hole" and I put a small self tapping screw in behind the switch and that stopped it from moving backwards and that cured the problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.