Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My problem is I rode my wing for about 5 miles from the store to my house and every time I came to a red light or stop sign the battery bug would go off and I kept hearing a noise, I thought it was the cooling fans. When I got home I turned the engine off and to my suprise the starter was still running and as fast as I could I disconected the battery I put a compufire alternator and sealed battery on it in about April of this year. My questions are, is the starter histery, could anything else be wrong and if so what and has anyone else experianced this before and if so the cure.
Oh I ride almost every day!!!! Back and forth to work and anyplace else I can ride to.
Any and all help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Every One,
Philip

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd check the starter terminal to see if 12V is being applied to it or whether somehow the starter clutch is locked up. If you find 12V on the starter with the engine running it's just about certain the start relay(s) are stuck. If the problem is due to a stuck relay your starter is probably okay because the over running clutch will protect it from over speeding.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I agree that it is a starter solenoid. If it was the switch your starter would have quit turning when you turned the key off. At least that is what happened with mine. The starter solenoid gets 12v all of the time and the start switchenergizes it when you push the button.

I would also agree the starter will be good to go once you replace the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

SJY207 wrote:
I agree that it is a starter solenoid.  If it was the switch your starter would have quit turning when you turned the key off.  At least that is what happened with mine.  The starter solenoid gets 12v all of the time and the start switch energizes it when you push the button. 
+1. If your luck holds, the starter motor won't have suffered from this.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the reply's. Another question is the starter soleniod and the relay the same and if not were is the relay located. I know were the soleniod is.

My wing is a 1996 SE and I do not have a repair manual for it.

This bike just kinda upset me yesterday when it did what it did because I ride it alot.

Thankyou'll for the replies again!!!!

Philip :?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

One in the same. It is a solenoid, some call it a relay. Just look for the piece that the positive battery cable attachs to and then goes to the starter. That is the soleniod and the one you need to replace.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

SJY207 wrote:
One in the same.
Thanks SJY207! I was just checking to make sure there isn't a relay and a solenoid. I have not had a chance to realy dig into it yet because I am stuck at work. I hope to look at it tomorrow evening after I get off work.

Thanks for the help.

Philip :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

SJY207 wrote:
One in the same.
Thanks SJY207! I was just checking to make sure there isn't a relay and a solenoid. I have not had a chance to realy dig into it yet because I am stuck at work. I hope to look at it tomorrow evening after I get off work.

Thanks for the help.

Philip :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I think I found the problem. With alot of searching I finally figured out that it was the loose nut between the hand grips and the seat. I can admit when I probably messed up and bumped the starter button while riding down the road. The starter and soliniod are both good. I road it late yeaterday evening and again to work today with no problems after reconecting the battery and checking the starter and soleniod.
Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!
Philip

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

bigred45 wrote:
I think I found the problem. With alot of searching I finally figured out that it was the loose nut between the hand grips and the seat.....
You had me thinking for a minute Philip. Then I realized you mean the very large nut. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

My guess is that the problem went away TEMPORARILY. Keep an eye on it. Some solenoids will display this behavior for some time. When you took the battery off the solenoid lost all power and the actuator inside became free. More than likely you will have this problem again, down the road.

I would have a spare solenoid in the bike with the tools to replace it should you get stranded on the side of the road. They normally don't fix themselves, they tend to get worse.

Goodluck.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

gaswing wrote:
bigred45 wrote:
I think I found the problem. With alot of searching I finally figured out that it was the loose nut between the hand grips and the seat.....
You had me thinking for a minute Philip. Then I realized you mean the very large nut. :ROFL:
It was funny!!!!!!! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

SJY207 I did order a new solenoid and I do plan on replacing it just in case!!!!

Thanks again every one!!!
Philip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.