Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I thought I heard something weird when I started my bike. I had just filled up with gas when it happened. I hoped that I had imagined it and rode on.
Today, I heard it again. It is like someone whacked the engine with a hammer, just as I press the starter button.

What's the typical mode of failure of a starter on a 1500?

Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
The starter solenoid can make a noticable "Pop" when the starter button is pressed. Maybe that is what you are hearing. Occasionally when the starter solenoid goes bad it won`t release the connection going to starter motor. Not good on starter to be engaged going down the highway. Other than that, or trying to jump start the bike incorrectly I find the 1500 starters to be long living. My last 1500 had 200K on the original starter with no problems.
gumbyred

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Any recent carb work that might now be dumping fuel into cylinders causing a hydro lock or coolant loss causing same. Check coolant and oil levels. Does the engine run rich or lose coolant?

Make darn sure your reverse cables are properly adjusted and working correctly.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I'm going to guess there is a possibility that the sprague might be beginning to fail or is gummed up. Under normal conditions it engages instantly. If it were to stick or malfunction in a way that delays the engagement it might make that noise. The reason might be because the starter is spinning at full speed then the sprague engages with a snap from the chain or the shock to the sprague itself. You might consider some MMO. Some on this site have talked of using this to free up sticky starter spragues.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I have also seen where the starter mounting bolts got a little loose that will also give the same sound

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it hasn't happened since.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep y'all posted if there are any developments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.