Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am having a problem with my 1500. It started when it died on me on the road. After trailoring it back to the house and checking fuses, relays, diodes and changing cruise computer I still have a problem with it dying. I can start it but after it warms up and I kill it; I can start it but it immediately dies. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It would help to have a bit more information. When you say it starts and warms up will it keep running until you stop it? Then when it's hot it won't start? Or does it die once it gets hot?

The first thing you'll have to determine is whether it's an ignition or fuel problem. A spark plug tester or just a spare plug can help there. Remove the lower fairings so you have access to the spark plugs.Start and warm up the enginethen shut it down and see ifit will start.If not,insert a spark plug tester or disconnect one spark plug and using a spare plug, insert the plug into the spark plug connector and lay the plug on the cylinder head to get a ground. Then try cranking your engine and see if you have spark. If you have spark at the plug the problem is probably fuel related if you don't it's most likely ignition problems. If there's no spark one possible source of the problem could be the pulse coils mounted under the timing belt cover on each side of the crank pulley. Often when these go bad they fail when hot and then when cooled down will work again until they get hot.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

My GL1500 problem was intermitant and left me on the road a few times before I replced the fuel pump with an aftermarket set-up. The fuel pump runs for about 5 seconds as the key is turned on. Turns out my pump would run and then not run. As a side note, my dealer checked my VIN and discovered that the bank angle sensor for the fuel pump had not been changed and they replaced it free of charge due an old recall.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

When I start it it will run until I stop it. Then it won't stay running after I try to start it again. Also if I pull out the taillight/headlight fuse it will start and run "like a new one". I have checked the fuses and most of the grounds to make sure they have a good contact. I do not have any blown fuses and the relays have tested good.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have found my problem. maybe it will help someone else out. I found a ground wire that was loose/not getting good contact.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

don't know the answer for you, but having a very similar problem with a 1985 goldwing 1200 aspencade . starts like a charm runs fiveish minutes and dies, and then it won't crank for a long time. but after that same song, fiveish minutes again.

just thought i'd let you know you are not the only guy with problems.. have a great one noe

loyd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.