Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had this 1500 for 6 months and it has been running perfectly until yesterday. When on the highway at 65 mph and above at a steady speed she surges constantly. accelerates fine at any speed and in any gear, just at a steady speed does this happen. Rode her the day before and all was well. May be doing this at lower speeds but I don't notice it. All the search produced was surging at idle. Ireplaced all3 air filters a month ago. Any sugestions. Getting ready for a trip to Idaho. Thanks!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Change the speedo cable if it is happening during cruise only.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Change the speedo cable if it is happening during cruise only.
Happens with cruise off or on. Worse with cruise on but a suppose that's just the cruise trying to compensate.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Make sure you chock is off or fully closed

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

A couple of things come to mind. Did you check for any vacuum leaks and when was the last time you changed your gas line filter? Did you fill up with gas shortly before you noticed this ... might be some bad gas.:baffled: Try running some Seafoam through her.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
A couple of things come to mind. Did you check for any vacuum leaks and when was the last time you changed your gas line filter? Did you fill up with gas shortly before you noticed this ... might be some bad gas.:baffled: Try running some Seafoam through her.
Same with 2 tanks of gas. Haven't checked anything yet, just getting a head start. Seafoam with 2nd tank of gas and no improvement. Just picked up a fuel filter about 20 minutes ago. Supposed to have had a 30k fullmaintenance in September before I bought it but you know dealers and how they lie.

Just installed fuel filter and itstill surges. This surging isn't enough to change speed I just feel it and it is every one or two seconds. Also noticed, after paying attention, same at lower speeds.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Hi dingdong - sorry to hear about your problem. I was looking over my maintenance schedule the other day and I noticed for the fuel system it doesn't have a recommended filter change mileage - just inspection. I wonder if when they did the maintenance they didn't change your fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Well I have just had the same thing happen to me for the last 2 months. I went to this thing from top to bottom. I could run teh gears all teh way to 90 but when i tried to hold it steady it would start to stumble like the choke was on. When the cruise was on it would surge up about 3 or 4 mph then ease back down the back up. I had pulled my carbs to change a bowl gasket, then the gremlin showed up. I cleaned the carbs upten number of times,so I thought. I finally took them to have them ultrasonicly cleaned and I also changed all the vac hoses while I was in her. And well long story long, I belive the gremlin has been erraticated. So you might think about the cleaning, I dont think the hoses were the problem but it was going to be needing them down the road anyway. Pm me if you have any questions about I would be glad to share what I know. God Bless

·
Premium Member
64,493 Posts
imported post

Just throwing this out, Well screwing the idle screw under the gas door in and out a couple times help ???

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey Ty: I changed the filter yesterday. That was my first thought. No luck.

Jbossman73: You could have gone all day without saying that. Not what I wanted to hear. If I have questions I will send PM.

Foodman: Don't know. I'll try it. Last time I tried to turn it it was stuck and wouldn't turn??? Why did that cross your mind?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
Foodman: Don't know. I'll try it. Last time I tried to turn it it was stuck and wouldn't turn??? Why did that cross your mind?
That seems to cure most idle surge problems, but I don't think it will affect higher speeds(off idle)

You didn't mention it, but does it surge a couple hundred RPM at idle?

Dusty

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
Had this 1500 for 6 months .... Ireplaced all3 air filters a month ago .....

I take it to mean that you replaced the air filter element, cruise element and sub air filter??

Have you checked it for any vacuum leaks around the carbs and their associated hoses, yet?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
dingdong wrote:
That seems to cure most idle surge problems, but I don't think it will affect higher speeds(off idle)

You didn't mention it, but does it surge a couple hundred RPM at idle?

Dusty
I agree with that if it were idle only. Tried anyway to no avail.

No it doesn't surge enough to see a change at idle but I can hear it gasping. As though one cylinder isn't running just right. Just not smooth. Same at speed. I can only feel it surging. If I relax and sit straight my body rocks back and forth slightly as it surges and backs off. Oh, my mileage dropped from 40 the day before this started to 34 since. Getting ready to start pulling plastic. Anyone care to assist? I don't need this. Oh woe is me!

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
dingdong wrote:
Had this 1500 for 6 months .... Ireplaced all3 air filters a month ago .....

I take it to mean that you replaced the air filter element, cruise element and sub air filter??

Have you checked it for any vacuum leaks around the carbs and their associated hoses, yet?
Yes to the filters.

No I haven't done anything inside the plastic yet.I just pulled her into the garage and put on the center stand. getting ready to start.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Good luck DD I hope it turns out all right.

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Tom, let us know if we can help............we can be down there in 2 hours.

·
Premium Member
64,493 Posts
imported post

I've read where that has helped some surge problems.. If that idle screw is stuck I'd find out why......

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Mine had a cutting out feeling at speed and it ended up being an ignition coil. I didnt change it myself though(too much work) but it did fix the problem.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Well, the next thing I'd do is pull the side plastics off of her and the start her up and spray some 'Quick Start', or some such around the vacuum hoses/carbs and see if the idle speed changes, which would indicate a 'leak'.

Let us know what that reveals.

Might even want to spray some WD-40 on the sparkplug wires(?) :baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

Flyone wrote:
Tom, let us know if we can help............we can be down there in 2 hours.
hey what am i chopped onions:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.