Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys:waving: I've been lurking for awhile what a great group here!! Here's my problem

my tach started readinghigh about 2000-2500 rpm any of you seen this before?

I've read some post of low readings but not high.

Thanks in advance I know some of you GURU's have a idea.

Jim

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Are the actual engine rpms giong up or is it just the tach thats reading too high and the engine revs are low?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The engine can be cruising at say 3000 and the tach is reading 4800-5000 at idle

it will read 2000 when I know the engine is 900-1000 and the scale gets farther

off as speed increases.It did this a few weeks ago and then started to read correct after a coupledays.Now its gone crazy again and I'm showing about 5000 at 50mph.

Not really a big deal:? but I like everything to work.

Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

:)Hello Everyone, just joined and this is my first post... I have an '88 1500 and have the same problem with the Tach... during the summer it would fluctuate between reading normal and reading 2000-3000 rpm over actual. Now it is always reading high. I'm doing 65mph and it's almost red lined. At low idle is say about 2000 rpm. It does read 0 when the bike is off.... Anyone experience this and have a fix?

Happy Cruising!

Charlie:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The tachometer is difficult to check as it takes it's input directly from the ECM. If you pull the instruments, check the yellow/blue wire for continuity between the tach and ECM. Then check the green wire for continuity to ground. There should be contuinity with both wires. If there is, then your problem can be either the tach or ECM and all you can do is try and borrow another set of instruments and see if they will work.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Your description sounds a lot like the tach might have lost it's ground reference. Could be a loose connector in the instrument cluster. Taking the cluster out requires the removal of the mirrors, windshield, removing the windshield adjuster levers, and upper panel vents. Then you can remove the panel cover and get the four screws that hold the cluster in, they are the outer set of four. To get it clear, disconnect the big connector and unscrew the speedometer cable. If you do take it out replace all the bulbs while it's out, there's a bunch of them but it's a pain in the butt if you put it all back together and have a bulb fail soon after. Don't ask! [suB][suP]It was the OD light.[/suP][/suB]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.