Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Last winter I was going to do it,, but somehow I got the bike all back together and forgot. So now I have the bike apart again and thought I better get it done. I have a cable luber, all types of lubes/oils,,,,,,,,, so now all I need is to figure out how to get the cable off in order to lube it.

It seems that I need to undo the cables at the carb end first,,,,, in order to undo them at the throttle (am I right so far?)

So how the heck do I get to the ends on the carb?????????? And just where are they?? I have all the side and fairing panels off,,,, but I'll be darned if I can see the "whatcha ma call it" where the cables are :?.

The cables are working fine,, but premaintenance goes a long way :cool:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks,,,,,,,,, I had a notion I still needed to remove the "whole" air box :gunhead:.

I did a search and haven't found anything here on the job. So I'll see what I can do for a HOW TO,,,,,,,, (that is,, if I figure out howto, do it):cool:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Good Idea! You could just stick the straw into the top of the cable and spray a little at a time in there until it goes down the cable from inside the right switch, but you would want to open up the side panels and find the lower ends to watch and catch the excess that comes out.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I kinda did that last year. After I had the bike back together and realized I forgot to do it. But I only gave it a few sperts of lube,,,, don't think it was enough to make much diff.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The Fonz wrote:
You do not need to remove the cables to lubricate them; however, if you are wanting to, here are some links to my blog page which outlines how I replaced my cables:

http://okiemom6.blogspot.com/2011/10/oh-no-broken-throttle-cable.html

http://okiemom6.blogspot.com/2011/10/throttle-cable-done.html

Good luck,

The Fonz
Darn good tutorial. But now I don't know if I want to go through all that just to lube the cable.

I just wanted to be able to get my "cable luber" mounted at the throttle end. But can't get enough slack without disonnecting at the carb end.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

The throttle pull cable goes to a "manifold block" for lack of a better term mounted on the left side of the frame. In this block is also the cruise servo cable. Out of this block is a short common pull cable which goes to the carb. The throttle return cable "cruise off" is direct to the carb.

I would just spray it from the top and let it work its way down. Here is a pic of the manifold in the center of pic. You can see the cruise cable coming up from the bottom with the nut adjuster on it.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Pictures like tha mak me wonder why i bought the 1500. But am happy I keep my other 2 wings.
Wilf

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I'm waitingto see what Dave has to report.

I sent him a PM with my thoughts on how he can maybe get some slack, to be able to remove the throttle cable ends from the throttle sleeve, so he can then lube them properly/fully. :?

Dusty

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

And the report is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, To Hell with it :yelling:. I'm just not in any more of a mood to deal with getting it apart like that. I'll probably open the switch on the bars again like last year, and do what I can as far as working some lube in that way. It's just not worth the aggravasion to just lube it. If the cable was fraying/breaking,, then I would go through the troubles to "replace" the whole works.

Like I replyed to Dusty in the pm,,,,,,,,,,,,, a simple cable lube shouldn't feel like doing a heart transplant :gunhead:.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
And the report is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, To Hell with it :yelling:. I'm just not in any more of a mood to deal with getting it apart like that. I'll probably open the switch on the bars again like last year, and do what I can as far as working some lube in that way. It's just not worth the aggravasion to just lube it. If the cable was fraying/breaking,, then I would go through the troubles to "replace" the whole works.

Like I replyed to Dusty in the pm,,,,,,,,,,,,, a simple cable lube shouldn't feel like doing a heart transplant :gunhead:.
My thoughts exactly! After reading about how much trouble it is to get to the cables I'll just wait until/if one of them breaks and deal with it then by replacing them. If I'm going to that much trouble just to lube them.... well might as well replace them while you are that far in.

Kind of like taking the front apart just to check the timing belts. Why not just replace them if you are right there looking at it.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

i used a 5/16 clear hose about a foot long with a small hose clamp slipped over the removed cables and tightened from the throttle grip.

filled the hose with wd40 and blew over the open end to force the fluid down the cable till it flowed out the other end

after flushing with the wd40 i filled the hose with a cable lube and blew again over the open end of the hose until that flowed pass the cable end.

worked like a charm!:bow:

dont be seen doing this as its hard to explain (looks like youre hitting a crack pipe)

i was on my around the lakes trip and had to do this in a gas station to get the cables freed up

boy did i get alot of looks!:wtf:

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Hi SmartBiker, well I guess you really are a smart biker! :cheeky1: That sounds like a good way to get them lubed without havingto tear the bike apart to get it done.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Hi SmartBiker, well I guess you really are a smart biker! :cheeky1: That sounds like a good way to get them lubed without havingto tear the bike apart to get it done.
hope that helps:waving:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Dave's problem, as I understand it, was that he couldn't get enough slack to remove the cable ends out of the throttle sleeve.

How did you manage to get them free?

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Dave's problem, as I understand it, was that he couldn't get enough slack to remove the cable ends out of the throttle sleeve.

I think it was a different bike.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Dusty Boots wrote:

I think it was a different bike.
I don't know, Dave. He didn't say what bike he did that on, true ... but he has a 1500 listedunder his avatar.

Mind tellingDave which bike this was on and how you managed to get enough slack at the throttle tube to free the ends of the throttle cables, SmartBiker??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.