Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 215 K mile on the odometer, I have been through a LOT of tires. Early on, I started using Avons and had very good service from them, including a couple of rainy panic stops. Usually good for around 13-14K miles. The last time they had no Cobra or Chrome only the Chrome. I have 9,500 on them and they are to be replaced. Any suggestions on another brand? When I tried to search this subject, I could only find 5 year and older threads.

·
Administrator
25,735 Posts
I like avons. I have a new front tire to mount, the cobra chrome since they don't make the AV71 anymore. Hope it does as well.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I ran Avon AM41 and AM42 Vernon X tires on my GL1500. Four sets and 100,000 miles.

Performance and service was very good.

Avon's are more heavily constructed and like to be pumped up...!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember having the AM 41 & 42s. With those type of Avons , I was getting 15K on the rear and maybe 18K on the front. Not with these Chromes. After a run with my CMA chapter to Hillbilly Hot Dogs, I will be trying the Dunlops E4 next Monday.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I remember having the AM 41 & 42s. With those type of Avons , I was getting 15K on the rear and maybe 18K on the front. Not with these Chromes. After a run with my CMA chapter to Hillbilly Hot Dogs, I will be trying the Dunlops E4 next Monday.
What PSI was you running (front and rear).....????

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I always ran 45 front and 50 rear in the AM 41 and AM 42 Avon's. This had the blessing of an Avon Rep from England....!!

That worked very well....!!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have Avons on my 1500,rear has 7 k miles and looks good,44 psi and seems to have a big contact patch,just put the chrome on front( Radial on front) and is a great handling set,I run 32 in front,I usually go by contact patch for the amount of air pressure.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always ran 45 front and 50 rear in the AM 41 and AM 42 Avon's. This had the blessing of an Avon Rep from England....!!

That worked very well....!!
Bet you could feel a dime when you ran over one.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,240 Posts
An Austone if you can find one...
I went through three - it took me close to 90k miles though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,256 Posts
sigh, Austones are in the Unabtainable category now.....
still available in the UK, but not in the USA anymore.

.The rear tire is suggested to be Tire – Rear: 160/80-16

I am thinking that this tire just might be one that will work for you..

it is smaller in diameter, but should clear the suspension, the width is only 15 mm wider.

the Austone is not that much different:
175R16 Austone Taxi Tire

this thread is 10 years old, but it discusses some tire options:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts