Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all, I'm new to the goldwing world obviously. and the time has come to put tires on my 1500. Any suggestions on brands I should look into? From what I'v e been told so far, from my local dealer is the Elite 3's are the best tires, but I've also heard many wonderful things about the Metzlers ME880's. HELP! I'm gonna be needing a rear in the next couple months and a front before the season ends.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

The Metzlers are very popular with 1500 owners, but tire preferences are always a personal thing and everyone seems to have different views.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

There are many, many threads here about tires. Only because there are many wingers in the world. And all of them (including myself) have our own opinions.

Here is my "opinion" / experience:

I went through 2 sets of E3's,,,,,,,,,, both sets got over 14,000 miles. Some cupping did occur toward the end of their use. But they were a good tire and would not be affraid of useing them again if I had to.

Now with that said,,,,,,,,,,,, I have switched to the Michelin GT Pilots. I only have close to 3,000 miles on them so far. But every mile has been fantastic with them. The handling is excelent. These tires really do stick to the pavement,,,, even on wet roads. Mind you,,,,,,,,,, standing water is always bad no matter what tire you have. The bike just feels more nimble and smooth. I have found that I keep a better line into the twisties.

You'll be getting lots more answers and opinions. Best of luck to ya, And Welcome to the forum.

PS,,,,,, here is where I got mine,,,,,,, fast shipping.

Michelin Pilot GT Motorcycle Tire

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Echo that. Michies, ignore tar snakes :cheeky1:

Stick like glue.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

My preference are the Avon Venoms.........same reason as the others have said, I feel good on them and Iam a new rider. Thats my 2cents or were they $400?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

hi mate i still had k 177 on mine only done 8 thousand since new and ive had it since last year about 8 months done all the belts and put new tyres on and them elite 3 are very good,cant beat them but as they say its all how you feel you like,my old gal goes well on em and she a 1992.like new still in cotton wool when i found it ok take care sixfore123

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

hi mate i still had k 177 on mine only done 8 thousand since new and ive had it since last year about 8 months done all the belts and put new tyres on and them elite 3 are very good,cant beat them but as they say its all how you feel you like,my old gal goes well on em and she a 1992.like new still in cotton wool when i found it ok take care sixfore123

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Michelin GT Pilots. Haven't had them long , but I love them.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

For recommeding dunflops, your local dealer should be shot. Each time he opens his mouth and utters the D word. In the gonads.

Michelin Pilot GT and you can't go wrong. I got mine from www.ridedirect.com and it was the best price I could find last summer.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
imported post

Howdy Hearsekid,

Just remember your dealer is going to try to sell you what makes him the most profit.

Don't rule out other brands like Bridgestone, Continental and Pirelli. All good tires and usually less expensive.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks a ton guys, I think I'm going with the Michelins... I asked a couple people by me too and they have had great luck with them. I'm taking my first "tour" in 2 weeks! To chicago and I want to throw a new set of shoes on her before I go. Thanks again!

Adam

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I have over 7000 on my Michelin GT Pilots, and up here in Washington state the get wet often, they stick like glue to the roads and I would recomend them as an all weather tire. Even rode when it snowed and they worked great.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Apparently the pilot GT isnt made anymore. Does anyone know what tire Michelin makes that replaced it?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I will not need to put tires on my '85 1200 for a while, but will probably go with Metzler 880s. I'm just finishing off my third set on my '02 Vulcan 750, and get about 18,000 miles out of the rear, over 20,000 miles out of the front. And that is the way I replace them. I replace the rear when I can see the wear bars, then wait until I can see the wear bars on the front to replace it. I refuse to waste perfectly good rubber. I have had no issues with them, they handle ok, they are not sportbike tires, but I don't ride a cruiser like a sportbike, and I don't ride my GL1200 that way either. It's straight up 90% of the time, take it easy in the corners and curves. No knee dragging. I have ridden sportbikes a lot, and I have to keep reminding myself that a cruiser or large touring bike is not going to handle that way.

The fact is, I would be very tempted to use car tires if they would fit my bike. On a touring bike, unless they were actually dangerous, tread life comes first, middle, and last.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

i rode the pilots on mine and liked them. the avons were good but i think i would prefere the pilots if you can find them. like they said, for every goldwing rider there is a preference. pick one and go for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.