Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

contemplating upgrading to the 1800 from a 95 1500 SE. looking for opinions from anyone who has gone from the 1500 to the 1800. The pros and cons. differences good AND bad. handling differences, comfort level. all advice is appreciated.

thanks mike.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
imported post

1500 to 1800 is NOT an upgrade!:cooldevil:
Just kidding, couldn't resist. Most folks say more power, less storage. Better brakes, less comfort.

But don't take my word for it. I'm sure one of the folks with an 1800 will be by to tell you all about it. Maybe Glester, who traded up this year.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My advice would be to go test drive an 1800. I have heard guys on this site say that the 1500 is more comfortable. I have owned many bikes but the only goldwing is an 1800. Handles better than any bike I've ever owned. Could be more comfortable but then again I am 6'4" and I would like more leg room. Like I said, go take a test ride and since you own a 1500 you should be able to make a fair comparison. Besides, you are the one who is going to be riding the bike.:action::action::action:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Well, after puting about 8,000 miles on my 1800 since trading in the 1500, this is what I have figured out:

PROs:

Much better brakes and handling. Better fuel ecomomy and power. A little better to stradle when stopped and not as top-heavy. Much brighter (but uglier) headlights. Easier to see controls at night. Better shifter and peg position for my legs (I'm 5'11") and easier to change brake pads, rear tire, and oil. Quieter running.

CONS:

Less storage in saddlebags. More wind buffeting since windshield is shorter. Seat itself not quite as comfortable (although riding position is better). I miss my CB! Not as easy to work on it some areas as the 1500. Not as stylish as the 1500.

Overall:

I can live with the cons and be really happy with the 1800 anytime I crack the throttle on that yellow rocket. I miss the 1500 at times, but not enough to go back.

I hope this helps.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I've got a 95 SE and just bought a 2005 ABS a couple of weeks ago. I find that the 1500 is more comfortable, with a softer suspension whereas the 1800 feels more sporty and has a harder ride. I don't really notice much difference in power, although I don't usually twist too fast anyway. The 1800's brakes are definately more powerful and don't require much of a squeeze before the passenger feels the G force. The 1500 has bias ply tires as opposed to the 1800's radials. The only difference in the tires seems to be that I squirm a bit over road snakes with the 1500 whereas I don't even notice them on the 1800. The newer bike seems to hold a turn, where the 1500 always wanted to straighten up. I like the push button reverse on the new bike, and also like the fuel injection as opposed to the choke and carbs on the older one. There might be more storage room in the 1500's trunk, but I think there is more storage in the paniers of the 1800. I guess the only saftely feature I like with the 1800 is the driving lights, whereas the 1500 just had the turn signals down low on the front. I had a hard time positioning highway pegs for the 1500 but the 1800's pegs are easily mounted and have lots of room to adjust. That's pretty much what I notice between the two bikes. If you have any questions , just ask. Regards, Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.