Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:waving:hi , i have triked 3 gl 1200 s last year , there all had solid axels, with air shocks, , this is my first atempt at an independent rear suspention trike , i bought this bike on the 17 th december , i work full time so i only have the odd night time and the weekends to work on the build, i will keep the pictures comming and would like and idea s that you s may have , i cannot afford a real fibreglass body at the moment ,so im trying to make it work with the side panniers still on , , so here goes

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

what a job im having , trying to get my photos on here , it keeps telling me there to big:X

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i have used a jag axel, the wishbones have been filped over so i could move the anti roll bar around to the front , as it was in the way of the shocks on the rear

Attachments

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

this the shock tower , with my second lot of springs as the hit the floor with the first pair , :shock: the mounts for the bottom of the springs is made from angle iron which is fixed at either end , as the wishbonesor cast and it will not weld

Attachments

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

this is a view of the propshaft , hope the angle is not to tight , let me know what you think, I had the jag boss turned on a lathe and married it with a hardy splicer from a reliant , then bored out the center to take the bikes drive shaft ,

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

:?sorry about that , the last pic was a bit big , heres one with the pannier back on

to get the box back on i have had to cut out the back , thinking of resealing the back when the build is complete,

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Looking good.
I would box the lower shock bar.
You can remove the center stand & rear crash bars now, don't think you will be needing them.
Use the bags & some trailer fenders, then add in the middle.
The Jag is a good starting point, what is the gear ratio?

Skype me at skip202

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

this diff is 3:1 , and i think the bike was 2:9, ive had it moveing , by putting the bike on stands and letting the clutch out all seem fine , im not tolaly happy with the propshaft , think i will do as i did with the other trikes , i drilled the hardy splicer that goes on the engine and taped it to a 8mm and used a grub screw.

sorry it's a bad picture , i took 5 (bad light) and this is the best one

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

hi skip , what did you mean , when you said you would box the lower shock bar ?:?, all ideas are welcome, i got some fibre glass mudguards off ebay , and i spent all afternoon getting them on

it frame is under neeth the mudguard i will fibreglass the frame to the bottom of the mudguard , when it's all painted

this is the mudguard on , not sure if i like it ,? may have to trim it ?

these mudguards are 12" wide so the gap in between the pannier and the mudguards is around 4" the door still opens , i would be useable:)

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Yes it 2.93:1
By the way, I like that BIG garage you have.
Are you sure the trike will fit after you put the tires on?
What I did was moved the diff. over a little more in line with the driveshaft, then shorten the axle.
The shock mount don't look very strong to take a good pot hole with all of those hoses in them.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

you right to laugh about the size of the garage :cheeky1:, its a hut in my back garden , we have been having a lot of snow here in the north east of england , but last week end was nice , so i thought i would push it outside in the small amount of sun ,!

only to relise it will not come through the door way :?it's 6" too wide , ha ha ,

not to worry it has to come apart to be painted , and then put back together properly, , yes i think your right i could take another piece of angle turn it upside down and weld it to the bottom shock brace , this would make a box shaped tube, good idea

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Good way to shorten the axle.
You could us angle iron to help suppot axle as you weld it

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

barry nunn wrote:
:?sorry about that , the last pic was a bit big , heres one with the pannier back on

to get the box back on i have had to cut out the back , thinking of resealing the back when the build is complete,

LARGER Pictures are better.

·
Administrator
57,688 Posts
imported post

Yeah, Barry, you need to size the pictures to about 640x480 at a minimum so that we can see the detail.

Optimal size is 800x600 to fit the PC monitors that most folks have.

Larger than 800 pixels wide will overlap the screens for a lot of folks.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

GREAT

1 - 20 of 256 Posts