Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:waving:hi , i have triked 3 gl 1200 s last year , there all had solid axels, with air shocks, , this is my first atempt at an independent rear suspention trike , i bought this bike on the 17 th december , i work full time so i only have the odd night time and the weekends to work on the build, i will keep the pictures comming and would like and idea s that you s may have , i cannot afford a real fibreglass body at the moment ,so im trying to make it work with the side panniers still on , , so here goes

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

what a job im having , trying to get my photos on here , it keeps telling me there to big:X

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i have used a jag axel, the wishbones have been filped over so i could move the anti roll bar around to the front , as it was in the way of the shocks on the rear

Attachments

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

this the shock tower , with my second lot of springs as the hit the floor with the first pair , :shock: the mounts for the bottom of the springs is made from angle iron which is fixed at either end , as the wishbonesor cast and it will not weld

Attachments

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

this is a view of the propshaft , hope the angle is not to tight , let me know what you think, I had the jag boss turned on a lathe and married it with a hardy splicer from a reliant , then bored out the center to take the bikes drive shaft ,

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

:?sorry about that , the last pic was a bit big , heres one with the pannier back on

to get the box back on i have had to cut out the back , thinking of resealing the back when the build is complete,

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Looking good.
I would box the lower shock bar.
You can remove the center stand & rear crash bars now, don't think you will be needing them.
Use the bags & some trailer fenders, then add in the middle.
The Jag is a good starting point, what is the gear ratio?

Skype me at skip202

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

this diff is 3:1 , and i think the bike was 2:9, ive had it moveing , by putting the bike on stands and letting the clutch out all seem fine , im not tolaly happy with the propshaft , think i will do as i did with the other trikes , i drilled the hardy splicer that goes on the engine and taped it to a 8mm and used a grub screw.

sorry it's a bad picture , i took 5 (bad light) and this is the best one

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

hi skip , what did you mean , when you said you would box the lower shock bar ?:?, all ideas are welcome, i got some fibre glass mudguards off ebay , and i spent all afternoon getting them on

it frame is under neeth the mudguard i will fibreglass the frame to the bottom of the mudguard , when it's all painted

this is the mudguard on , not sure if i like it ,? may have to trim it ?

these mudguards are 12" wide so the gap in between the pannier and the mudguards is around 4" the door still opens , i would be useable:)

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Yes it 2.93:1
By the way, I like that BIG garage you have.
Are you sure the trike will fit after you put the tires on?
What I did was moved the diff. over a little more in line with the driveshaft, then shorten the axle.
The shock mount don't look very strong to take a good pot hole with all of those hoses in them.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

you right to laugh about the size of the garage :cheeky1:, its a hut in my back garden , we have been having a lot of snow here in the north east of england , but last week end was nice , so i thought i would push it outside in the small amount of sun ,!

only to relise it will not come through the door way :?it's 6" too wide , ha ha ,

not to worry it has to come apart to be painted , and then put back together properly, , yes i think your right i could take another piece of angle turn it upside down and weld it to the bottom shock brace , this would make a box shaped tube, good idea

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Good way to shorten the axle.
You could us angle iron to help suppot axle as you weld it

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

barry nunn wrote:
:?sorry about that , the last pic was a bit big , heres one with the pannier back on

to get the box back on i have had to cut out the back , thinking of resealing the back when the build is complete,

LARGER Pictures are better.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

GREAT

1 - 20 of 256 Posts