1,947 Posts
imported post

Way to go AZgl1500

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
imported post

yer that seem the best way to shorten the drive shafts , but its the wishbone that have got me pickled:?don't think i would ever get them to run true , and they are cast so i could cut them but not weld them, any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
imported post

thanks for the link skip, i have been thinking like you , im going to do what you said and build fresh ones , think i will have a look on ebay bushes , what width should the back end be , overall ? :),

and i agree that text was hard to read , sould have stuck to black.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
imported post

thanks alot AZgl1500 :clapper:i was getting abit sick of looking for it at the botom of the page,

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
imported post

thanks for those sizes skip, im in two minds , im not happy with this back end ! but i have a man who would like to buy it off me for his 1500,this way i could start from scratch again and do it right , too be truthfull this was not the axel to use the diff is fine but them heavey wishbone are cast and the back end is really heavey, this axel is off an xj8 , the one to use is off an xj6 this is the axel in all those link that you put up for me, so i bought on off ebay last night ,this one hs the brakeson the diff,it should be here by thursday , looking forward to starting again :cheesygrin:

so i will keep the pictures comming and you guys can all keep me right

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

barry nunn, good luck with your build and thanks for shareing,

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
imported post

skip , i will trying and get it down to 58" , how did you possition the diff ? i mean how long is your bike from front wheel to back wheel ? as i need to get this right , as the body would not fit, :)thanks

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
imported post

got it about 2 hours ago, i think this one is the one to use as it's lighter , it has a ratio of 3.058 , will this be ok? the propshaft houseing works in my favour as it's over the halfway point , this means less of an angle for the prop

it looks alot easyer to shorten as it round steel tube

calipers with handbrake leavers , note the off center prop

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Not pretty, but good starting point.
Move it over bout 2.5"- 3" then shorten as needed.
The body I have is 60" wide, but the Trike is 65"
was able to shorten only 3" as an after thought.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
imported post

Ihave not measured this axel yet , but the last one was 69" wide, you said 58" would be good for that body (mould) of yours , so i will work out the math later on today, i would like to keep it over to one side for the prop shaft, But would it be ok with one wishbone longer than the other?, or would i have to make a bed plate so that the wishbones were the same length and the diff was over by 2" or 3" then one drive shaft would be around 3" longer than the other one ? what do you guys think?:?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i'm doing the straight axle build. but on my first trike straight axle i left the rear end centered and it worked great. your shaft is already off center some so you may can get by with cutting both axles and tubes the same. i think you would be safe to do that.

but all the rear ends on here are different only you can decide which way to go. your there and you can mock it up and see how much of an angle you have. just my 2 cents worth.

i think 57"-58" and that includes to the outside edge of your tires. that would give you 1"-1.5" on each side for tire clearance. so your measurements will have to be made with your tire and wheel choice. your rear end length will be several inchs shorter than the 57 or 58 inchs.

would have been nice for you to have gotten the frame cage with the rear end. would have probably save you a lot of fabrication time.

and the gear ratio is very close. remember the height of the tire will affect the final ratio. the height of the bikes rear tire is a good place to start.
24" or 25" height should put you in the ballpark

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
imported post

thanks for the advice , i striped it down today and measured the offset on the prop it's 1 1/2" to the right , i alsothink it would be easyer and saferto cutting both wishbone the same length , , i measured the backend with tyres on to day came in at67" and need to get it down to 58 ish , thats 9" too loose , 4 1/2" off each shaft and wishbone , the hard part is cuttingthem square:?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i'm sure those tubes are sleeved so you can just grind the weld out of one end. get it straight by measureing from the other end and weld it back after you cut the right amount out. just like a drive shaft.

i believe i'd grind the inside weld out less chance of getting the alinement wrong.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Good luck with the build Barry will be interesting readiing how the build progresses.;)

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
imported post

i spent around 4 hours to night shortening the wishbones , took out 4 1/2" , ground a large champher on both edges and clamped it in a piece of angle iron, and tacked it , then checked the measurements and for square , then ran a big fat weld round and ground it smooth, in total i have lost 9" let me know what you lads think

21 - 40 of 256 Posts