Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Looks ok, BUT!
Don't grind a weld if it looks good, you weaken it.
Should have cut the weld on the inside fork & slide the tube off, cut to length & slide it back on.
The forks have a lip which would have help to a-line & weld in back together.
When you do the axle, cut & pin then, grind a wedge on the cut end then build up the weld starting in the center.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

looks great now for the shafts. get them straight for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i didn't want to say it but skip is right you shouldn't have cut the tubes like that. but it's done and you have them welded so that's for another ride.
you need to cut the axles at the welds one end or the other. not in the center or any other area but where they are welded to the yoke area. will be very hard to get them balanced if you cut them any other place. just grind out the weld and then pop out the yoke. cut off what you don't want slip the yoke back in and reweld them in the same attitude they where before the cut.
keep the universal joint ends lined up as they are before the cut or you can get some very bad vibs.

do not grind off the welds and try to keep them the same all the way around.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
imported post

yer that would have been the best way , but i cut them close to the diff end ,and felt inside , there was no lip or sholder , when these things are made they are butted up together and welded on the inside and the out side, , but maybe i will do it better on the next one? it's all about learning ,hope to get the shafts started today and also remove the other axle of the bike , maybe start to mount it?

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

tell me about the learning. your doing a great job. keep up the good work. and keep the pics coming.
i'm thinking about doing my 1500 irs if i can find a cheap one. but i think i found another mustang rear so that will probably be the way i go.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
imported post

i thought i would double check the wish bones , i put the big pins in both ends and measured from inside of pin to inside of pin , one was fine and the other was 3mm out in ment one wheel would have been towing in and would wear the tyre down , so i re cut it 95% through , hit it with a hammer , remeasured it , (fine now) , and welded more then half way round , turnd it over, and cut the remaineder and welded that , this time i left the weld and never ground it , good idea lads , im out tonight for a meal and a drink , but ill be back tomorrow with more pictures , :blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

good fix. enjoy your night on the town.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
imported post

thanks , i will, just spoke to skip via skype , real nice guy , good to hear his voice, only thing was , i'm using a mobile internet connection and it kept brakeing up , have go get a land line in again,

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

When you weld a tube or other part together, tack weld one small area Move it 180 degrees & check distance before you tack there. move it 90 degrees & tack then another 180.
Check distance each time.
Then you can run a bead around the whole thing without warping.
Smaller tubing tou could do it 1/3 sections.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

yep want warp as much as it will draw it out of round. you measured right now your wrong. because the metal all pulled to the side your welding on first. so tack and move then weld it solid.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
imported post

i pulled that first irs back off the bike this morning, , blow it off with the compressor and painted it up with some black gloss , put the new brake pipe on and took some pictures, it's now on ebay , what ever it makes will help fund this build, theres abit more room in the little shed now the irs is out ,heres a couple of pictures that my wife to be took today :)

THIS IS ME CAUGHT IN THE ACT:?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

The handbrake i used barry was off a sabura impreza

I ve got a Mk 4 Golf handbrake that i got and not used as i was given this off the impreza.Hope you not got to bad a hangover today:cheesygrin:

;)

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
imported post

no bad head this morning , i now know when to stop drinking , only learnt that in the last two years , ,the golf one looks great is it for sale ? i got loads done today with the nice weather, im sure it would have been good for you down there?

i had a good clean out , the hut looks alot bigger now :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Weather was nice,but did,nt see much of it,bolted up silencerand clamped up flexi exhaust.

Sent you a pm about handbrake.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
imported post

one of the drive shafts , i wll not come out of the hub , it's stuck fast , im going to drop it in at the local garage and pick up when it's done, then it 's on with the shafts , , have to buy some new steel to make a frame arount the diff , so that it can be mounted,

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
imported post

GOT THE SUCKER OUT, the barin is nacked with the heat from the burning gear, the lad in the garge said i would have never got that off with a puller , he used heat and a press!:shock: so new barin it is then ,

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
imported post

off to london for the weekend , so i had a few hour on the build tonight , started the houseing for the shocks, this is the axel now 9" shorter, the rule shows the center of the diff , notice the offset

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Looking good.
Enjoy your week end.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Looks good have a good weekend in the big smoke.;)

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
imported post

:waving:hi i'm back , spent every minuite away wishing i was back on my build,

that london is crazy, not a very nice place , the tourists are alright, but the londoners are not nice at all, not for me, got home around 3.30pm to day and went straight in the hut , started mounting the diff on the bike, i need to take all the photos of london off the camra before i can use it , so i will get snapping tomorrow night,

41 - 60 of 256 Posts