Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

121 - 140 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
imported post

nice! , if you build it and put it on here , you will have everyone hooked, it might even catch on:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
imported post

i bought some 225/60/16 polished aluminuim limo jag wheels , last night on ebay, should have them for the weekend, and the shocks are in customs here in the uk , hopefully have them by the weekend too, then i can get the bike sitting down on 3 wheels at last, oooowwww role on the weekend:cheesygrin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
552 Posts
imported post

Thats great you start to feel your getting somewhere when its standing under its own weight and sitting level.;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
imported post

yep ,those are nice wheels and I know you will be Glad to get it set on its wheels
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
imported post

Lightin wrote:
yep ,those are nice wheels and I know you will be Glad to get it set on its wheels

i carn't wait to be able to push it out side , as this one will deffenetly fit through the doors !:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: , as the last back end was too wide to come through,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
imported post

the progressive shocks came today, and i will have the wheels tomorrow, , had to pay vat (tax) and handling charges on the shocks totalof £28.00, , so i will crack on tomorrow and post some pictures :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
552 Posts
imported post

Great stuff and got some nicespring weather to work in as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
imported post

well it's now on 3 wheels , ,







having some problems with the shocks , there finding it hard to lift the bike, don't know if the psi guage in the dash board was correct but i had it up to 84 and they never lifted the bike, so i bypassed the bike compressor and hooked it up to compessor tank , that worked





i think it still needs more air







 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
imported post

the dash board psi guage was not lying it had 84psi in them and there were not even half way up , these jag backends are heavey, so i messed around and tryed the old stock coil spring back on , it held it but was a bit soft , so i have fitted the two , and it seems fine this way i can add air to compensate for the body and top box ,and passenger,



this picture shows two shocks on the right , notice how low the left side is !



and from the side view, i have only tacked everything as the body may hit and have to be moved

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
552 Posts
imported post

84 that is some pressure Barry i ran mine at 42 yesterday and the ride was quite firm.IRS must need lots of pressure eh.

Looking good now;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,687 Posts
imported post

Looking at your pictures of the rear and the shock layout , I think you need to move the lower end of the shock to the outer pivot bolts . That might be a problem with the body work .

Look at whats going on . You are lifting straight up trying to lift the bike chassis and the center differential . But you are using only half the length of your lower linkage . If moved out to the ends you would increase your leverage . Does this make sense ? Thats how I see it at least . I think before you cut the lower arms the shock was farther out from the center section . Just my rambling thoughts .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
imported post

Something isnt right, the bike wheight is as was ,the lift should be same as when a bike ,why it that the Progressive wont raise or work is something binding or attached as to pick up rearend weight the ,shock only carry bike weight,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
imported post

it lifts fine with a trolley jack from under the diff, the weight of the bike has now increased, as the shocks now have to lift the diff which is heavey, the shocks do lift it , but they are only half way up as the rubber boots on the shocks are still crushed , and at 84 psi, the suspention feels very soft and easy to compress
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
552 Posts
imported post

On the right where you,ve alsomounted the spring shock the air shock looks fine,maybe that whats needed and use the air shocksfor load.

Mine are mounted to frame as standard,just further back over axle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
imported post

I forgot yours Isnt straight axel.
you are doing a great job !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
imported post

yer this is my first irs , so its all a learning curve, i think im going to go with the stock spring that came off the bike and i will have to buy another off ebay , shame i spent that money on new progressive shocks , like i said it's all one big learning curve,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
552 Posts
imported post

barry nunn wrote:
yer this is my first irs , so its all a learning curve, i think im going to go with the stock spring that came off the bike and i will have to buy another off ebay , shame i spent that money on new progressive shocks , like i said it's all one big learning curve,
The stock spring as no load adjustment the air units for the load,could'nt you use the standard set up on either side and sell the progressive 416 series shocks:stumped:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,947 Posts
imported post

big al59 wrote:
barry nunn wrote:
yer this is my first irs , so its all a learning curve, i think im going to go with the stock spring that came off the bike and i will have to buy another off ebay , shame i spent that money on new progressive shocks , like i said it's all one big learning curve,
The stock spring as no load adjustment the air units for the load,could'nt you use the standard set up on either side and sell the progressive 416 series shocks:stumped:
This is an IRS UNIT not Mustang. axle.
The shocks need to be the same on both sides.
You can use one air & one coilover on each side.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
552 Posts
imported post

skip20 wrote:
big al59 wrote:
barry nunn wrote:
yer this is my first irs , so its all a learning curve, i think im going to go with the stock spring that came off the bike and i will have to buy another off ebay , shame i spent that money on new progressive shocks , like i said it's all one big learning curve,
The stock spring as no load adjustment the air units for the load,could'nt you use the standard set up on either side and sell the progressive 416 series shocks:stumped:
This is an IRS UNIT not Mustang. axle.
The shocks need to be the same on both sides.
You can use one air & one coilover on each side.
Thats what i meant Skip both original units on each side,just did'nt say it very clear:smiler::smiler:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
imported post

i've tryed both stock spring and one new progressive shockboth on one side,and as the new air shocks have a spring inside they are too strong when there working with the old spring even with no air in them, maybe i could mount them differently,? but i think it would work the way you are sergesting, with the bike s spring and old air spring working together on one wishbone, either way it will have to wait untill sunday as im off for a couple of days to the caravan , im trying to kill time untill my body gets here:sleepy:
 
121 - 140 of 256 Posts
Top