Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well guys and gals, what do ya reckon, I bought this after it had been through the wars and left to rot. not spent a fortune yet and quite happy with how it's turning out.

what I bought look like this

and now, after a couple of months it looks like this (not finished bt getting there)

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
cool, looks great!!! Good job.

what did you all have to do it get to this point? what do you have left to do?

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Wow! Nice job. That is what I call bringing it back from the dead. I'm impressed. :bow:

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Nice job bringing the goldwing back from the dead:claps:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Looks Great!
Do you have pics of the rear axle during the build?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers guys, I do have more pics and will update my website asap. I used a reliant axle having read all the stories and don't my research I decided that the axle is not the weak thing that some people believe as long as the swingarm is adapted correctly, I have built my swingarm to support almost the full length of the axle tubes. I also have a spare axle case that I plan to replace the tubes on to make it even stronger and then I'll swap them over. the wreak came with a few replacement parts including all the rear luggage and mounting frame so basically it was a big jigsaw puzzle. each part needing to be checked over, cleaned and serviced as it went together. I still need to sort the front brake and a blow on the exhaust. also need to add some extra maker light then it's gotta be weighed, MOT'd and reregistered at the DVLA which will take longer than it has to build it thanks to our useless government departments. I expect a few teething problems as it was crashed in 2001 and sat under a hedge for 10 years before the owner sold it to another guy who bought a few bits and did a bit of work on the engine but never got it running even though he'd done all the prep work he just didn't know how to wire it up. I guess so far I have spent £1200 on it and lots of time. a similar one was sold for spares or repairs recently for £5000 so I should be able to get my money back if I don't like it when I've finished.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
B I believe, have looked at a few lately so not 100%sure. either way it works well, doesn't rev it's nuts off yet pulls away two up easy peasy. not looking for a race machine so quite happy.
had hoped to have done some more but had a bit of a busy weekend due to a mate putting an angle grinder into his leg whilst triming up a capri axle he plans to fit on his GL1200, not the cleverest thing to do and he's had a 4 hour op today to try to close it up.
Hopefully get some more bits done later this week

·
Premium Member
'95 Aspy
1,131 Posts
Hi Byt, sorry to hear about your mate, whish is not to serious and hope he'll be fine soon.
Your job looks terryfic!!!, I love it!!.
I'm thinking that some time in near future I'll be triking my '93 GL1500 SE; and I agree with your though on the swingarm, I too believe it takes all the stress in each curve; the original was desiggned for 1 wheel, when you add an axle and two wheels you're (while driving) putting to much torsion on it, so it's liable to crack. I'm thinking to start building my own swingarm, ( regardless of which rear end will use), before taking the bike apart, so I'll really appreciate if you'll be kind to share the building print with the dimentions of it.
Regards, Mario

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
How is he doing? What's the prognosis of the leg?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
hope your mate mends ok pity we cant buy new parts for our bodys like we can for our bikes/trikes hoping to take mine to weigh bridge and mot end of this month

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well he's had an op to try to put his leg right, they say there is a 25% loss in the muscle due to the damage and that the muscle's cut was too ragged to stitch so they have stitched the rest and then bound the whole leg tight to help the muscle repair itself. he's gotta rest for two weeks.

as for the swingarm, I didn't work from a plan/drawing, I made a jig on a metal top table to mount the swingarm, marked out the center line and the axle line. used a spirit level, set square and a laser level to keep everything centered and square, allowed a little side ways adjustment in the mounts so the axle could be made 100% centered. I find working on the parts directly is far easier than working from a plan. I had the bike up on a lift with one side stripped out and the other losely built up so that I could check any clearence issues easily. 2x1 box steel can be bent in a hydraulic pipe bender to get round the frame and out towards the wheels just don't try to bend it too far. I braced it at both ends, above and below the propshaft but leaving room to remove the prop without having to remove the axle etc. I tend to believe that as I can't accurately and fully measure the stress and strains that each piece of steel or weld is going to suffer I make it over the top strong to hopefully prevent any future problems.

will add some swingarm pics asap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here is the almost finished swing arm, I added more braces to the prop area after this. (note the bench with the jig, not actually in it but gives an idea of how it was held during alteration.)

here it is trial fitted to the axle

·
Premium Member
'95 Aspy
1,131 Posts
Thank you for the update on your mate health, glad he'll be doing better; I appreciate your info about the swingarm, the pic's are very helpful.
Regards, Mario

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.