Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Guy's, Can a trike use a positrac rear end? I'm starting the next project and have a chance to pick up a ford mustang rear diff 7.5 gear ratio but a posi is there any reason a trike can't use a posi. I'd talk to the trike manufactures but most of them won't tell you stuff unless you are going to buy one from them. any thoughts? troublemaker [

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Troublemaker, sorry I can't help with your question, but I thought it best toadvise you to remove your email address from here as the spybots will latch onto it. Best to allow members to respond on the forum, or by the good PM system or by email from your profile details. :waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

A trike must have an open differential so when going around corners one wheel can turn faster than the other. With a non-slip differential such as a positrac I would think that the fact that if one wheel slips and as it instantly locks to the other wheel, it might have a tendency to push the trike straight in the turns.

Not sure about that, but I do know all trike rear ends manufactured for use on trikes have an open differential to allow the wheels to turn and run independent of each other. I think that is pretty important with a trike.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I would agree with Kit on this. If the differential clutches start grabbing while turning, you may have unexpected steering problems just when you really don't need it!

John

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Open diff only, unless you're built like HulkHogan!!! Too short a wheelbase on trikes to handle the turns properly. I have an "in" with a trike builder in Dothan Alabama, and this is a common question I guess. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

I you won't have to make any turns, it would work fine. But on a normal wheelbase trike I think the diff would havea tendancy to lock up, being the outside wheel is moving so much faster than the inner one while rounding corners.

jimsjinx - that wouldn't happen to be Randy, AKA Bazooka at Adventure Trikes? Know him from the Trike Talk forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.