Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

how many miles are the sparkplugs good for? My repair manual says every 4000 miles; That just dont sound right.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The ones in my bike have been in a lot longer than that, over 25,000

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Just changed mine at approx 20000 and they were still good . I had a set and was getting ready for a BRP trip so I changed them while the covers were off

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

The manual actually states 8k I think. Anyway, assuming the bike is running well they will last a LOT longer. I just change mine annually when I do fluids and check the carb synch. If they stay in TOO long they can be tough to remove and you run the risk of damaging the threads. A little shot of penetrating oil after blowing the plug holes out with compressed air prior to removing is a very good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I replaced the plugs on the 85 LTD I used to have at about 74,000 miles. They still looked good with only a little wear showing on the electrodes. After replacingthem I didn't notice any difference in either the way it ran or the fuel mileage. This unleaded gas we run now doesn't cause the plugs to foul like the leaded gas used to do. I think the reason Honda recommended replacing at such a low mileage was because of the leaded gas we were using when these older bikes were built.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.