Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The turn signal lever on my `98 S.E. feels like it came loose from the mounting. Both

left and right signals work, but at highway speeds the vibration in the handlebars will cause the lever to move to the right, and right turn signal comes on whenever it moves far enough. Happens quite often now if I don`t keep my thumb on the lever. Split the halves but couldn`t tell much. I would like to hear from anyone who has replaced the turn signal switch. Is a switch even available? Could be quite a job.

:praying:

Tom Bishop

`98 S.E.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

I've done a fix and also ended up replacing the whole assembly. The most likely problem is that the spring has broken. The spring is a very light gauge and loosely wound. They are prone to breaking. My fix was to use a tighter wound spring that I scavenged from a zippo lighter and cut it to size and there is some info in this thread. It worked out pretty good and there are other springs that may work just as well. Be warned that there are many small parts in there and it can be a pain. It worked but I ran into other issues and then ended up replacing the whole assembly. You can read about it in this thread. It was kind of tedious and took a while but wasn't too terribly difficult to do.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply pwhoever. Yes, it does feel like the spring broke on the switch assembly. Looks to be a real bear to fix. For the time being I have put a rubber band on the handlebar that goes against the turn signal switch. Maybe at least now the right hand turn signal won`t come on all the time. May or may not be a permanent fix till I sell the bike.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

"but at highway speeds the vibration in the handlebars"

:?:?:?:? What is this, aaaaaaaa vibration???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.