Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I foundt this split in my tire when I was installing my trailer hitch this afternoon. What would cause this on a two year old tire that has been run in the desert climate?Good thing I wasn't pulling a trailer in theheat this summer with the tire looking like it does. Now then, what should I use to replace this Metzler with?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

2 years of heat stress? Looks like it needed changing anyways, glad you caught it before it became a problem.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

Good catch! It's not always easy to see around all the plastic.

From reading the forums, it seems the Michelin Pilot GT is the one to pick???

http://www.partsmag.com/0602/Michelin-0602/Michelin-0602.html

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,702 Posts
imported post

It sort of looks to me, like it hit a piece of glass.

On top of that, you've had the tire mounted for two years. Suppose it was 4 years old when you bought it? That happens more often than not.

Check the DOT date code and see what the manufacturing date is.

Tire Date Code

Oh, you just can't go wrong with selecting a Michelin Pilot GT for use on a gl1500.

Sticks like glue, ignores the tar snakes, stable, and pretty decent tread life.

If the date code DOES NOT look like the picture below, you can be dead certain that it is older than the year 2000. That is the year DOT made it mandatory to date code tires as per the picture.

The tire in the picture was made the 51st week of 2007.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The Metzler 880's are: front tire is 1206, and the rear tire is 0206. The Michelin GT sounds good, but I wonder if the Metzler has a warranty. :?

When I stop and think about it, I have noticed a tire whine when I lean.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,702 Posts
imported post

michaelhaney wrote:
The Metzler 880's are: front tire is 1206, and the rear tire is 0206. The Michelin GT sounds good, but I wonder if the Metzler has a warranty. :?
Both made in 2006. Good question on the warranty, but it is now 2009. I think you will have a bit of a problem getting them warrantied. Can't hurt to try though.

I just did a fast Google search for Michelins. Found several places giving a good price on them. this is just one store, but I glom onto folks offering free shipping :action:

$128.99 front tire Motorcycle Superstore and free shipping
  • Premium replacement tire for Honda GL1500
  • Pilot Road inspired tread design for efficient water evacuation
  • Front tire features triangulated profile for low-speed maneuverability and four cross plies for stability
  • H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph
Rear tire, same store, also free shipping
  • Premium replacement tire for Honda GL1500
  • Pilot Road inspired tread design for efficient water evacuation
  • Rear tire features three crossed plies and two crown plies for high side-load resistance and a stable ride
  • H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I am not afraid to stand in front of the bus when it is important to folks safety.

That is not a cut from road debris, that is simply the tread pulled and separated from the cord. This is a very common situation with a Metzler tire. The internet cycle forums are full of photos like yours. It has been known for many years that Metzler tires separate and delaminate on the rear wheel. The most recent public photo I can think of was in Wing World a couple months back, but they were very careful not to mention the brand name, but you can tell by the tread pattern it is also a Metzler tire.

I know some do like the Metzler tire, and offer up all sorts of reasons as to the fact it is the improper air inflation pressures that cause this, well..............Bull!!!

These tires if used are like playing Russion Roulette. It is a gamble, will it be you? Or the other guy?

That is not at all uncommon for a Metzler tire, it is a known situation with them.

Respectfully

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

And the manufcturer will tell you you exceed the operation standards. temp, speed, inflation, load.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Once again, my timing is off. Doh!

Just put an ME880 on the rear of my 99 GL1500. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I replaced the Dunlop that was on it because it had a couple of slashes across the tread. Maybe nothing is 100% foolproof with tires. But thanks for the warning on the Metzlers. I will keep an eye on it. Both eyes, when I can afford them.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Didn't Metzeler do a recall on some Wing tires a few years ago? Looks like the one in the picture missed the recall.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
imported post

Good pricing from the superstore but the fine print says free shipping does NOT include tires, just an FYI

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,702 Posts
imported post

NomadicWing wrote:
Good pricing from the superstore but the fine print says free shipping does NOT include tires, just an FYI
That's the kind of snag that hits when you are doing a super fast global search and not researching the website...

Good catch. :waving:

I did buy a set of Michelin Pilot GT tires about 18 months ago, for about the price mentioned, and at the time, the shipping was indeed included in the price. I forgot to bookmark the place, and I have lost the invoice.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I just ordered a pair tonight. It must be that I am so damned good looking, ;)or I am a first time buyer, but my order says free shipping. :) They must ship out of somewhere close to me because the shipping rate is only seven dollars (if they did charge it).

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Most likely LA, but they have yet to get back with me.:baffled:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.