Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Toolcraft4100
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 1500 that may have a fork seal issue. I want to remove the part I believe is called the upper fender cover. It is a chrome piece that spans the top of the fender, covering the fork brace and extending a few inches up the front of each fork. The Clymer manual says to remove the bolts and sleeves or whatever and remove it. There are two holes in the top and it looks like maybe two much smaller threaded holes centered below each hole. There are no fasteners of any kind in these two holes. I can't see where it is sticking in any one place. It just won't come off. I have gently pried a little, but I don't want to break it. Can I get some help here? Much appreciated.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts

·
Toolcraft4100
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. Maybe the shoulder washers are stuck in place or binding somehow, but I didn't think I saw anything but a threaded hole. Thanks again.

·
Toolcraft4100
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I try not to leave a thread I started unresolved so...it was glued on. Now it's on the workbench where it will probably stay.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I like not having that cover. It allows you to keep an eye on your fork seals.

Ride Safe
Rich

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Different strokes, but that cover does provide some protection for the fork tubes in the area that is swept by the seals in normal use. The best check of an incipient leak in the fork seals is a finger wipe of the fork tube just above and around the tube. You'll feel oil before you can see it.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I agree with the feeling the oil comment. But, I also get a pretty good view of my tubes from the top as well.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I second the fact that that cover helps protect stuff and good to have.

It covers most of the area the fork seals and covers will travel, it helps keep that area cleaner, also prevents anything from hitting that area directly like rocks or chips that may fly up from road or be tossed. It's good for allot more than just looks!

Another thing, sun rots rubber, and with the rubber hidden from direct sun behind that cover they may last longer also.

·
Toolcraft4100
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good discussion

I can see the functional value of "upper fender cover" as a fork protector and I probably could remount the one I have. But I polished the fork brace a little and I kinda like the look for now.
It's not a Superbrace, but I'm pretty sure it is a true fork brace.
BTW, one fork seal was weeping just a little. I made my own "Sealmate" from a plastic 2-liter bottle and used it. There was no magic moment where I found anything, but 300 miles later and it still looks like new!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.