Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Recently my 98 1500 SE started stumbling at idle, having a slight idle surge, and getting poor fuel economy when loaded.

This morning, I took the right side cover off and sprayed starter fluid near the base of the carbs wit the motor running. The idle speed smoothed out and increased indicating a vacuum leak.

I plan on pulling the carbs and replacing the lines, and was wondering if anyone knew what specific lines I should replace while I am in there (part numbers).

Thanks,
Ed

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
There are only a couple different diameters and vac line is pretty cheap. If going in anyway, buy a bunch (maybe 10 feet) of several sizes and replace them all one-by-one. You do not want to go there again if you do not have to. I have not had to address anything there yet and am hoping it is way down the road myself.
Rich

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found another post which indicated car vacuum lines do not hold up to the heat and pressure of the 1500 motor. I know there are some that are bent.

Here is the part list from that thread. Gurus, are there any missing?

Description Detail Part Number
No 1 tube (ORN)Manifold link to ECU 17173-MN5-000
No 3 tube (ORN) Manifold link to ECU 17175-MT2-000
No 5 tube (ORN) Manifold link to ECU 17462-MT8-000
No 1 tube From air injection control valve 17358-MT8-000
No 1 tube From A1CV solenoid valve
piece to metal connector near
engine 17350-MT8-000
Un-numbered tube From A1CV solenoid to
piece (short) 17351-MT8-000

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
The boots that hold the carbs to the manifold should also be addressed (IMHO, of course); a little leak there would give the same response to your starter fluid test.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The boots that hold the carbs to the manifold should also be addressed (IMHO, of course); a little leak there would give the same response to your starter fluid test.
Any idea what the part number is for the boots? I cannot seem to find them in the fiche.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
To throw a wrench in the works I have to say that ether can travel quite a ways and find its way to the carb inlet. Did you just give it a little "sniff?"

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To throw a wrench in the works I have to say that ether can travel quite a ways and find its way to the carb inlet. Did you just give it a little "sniff?"
The idle went up immediatly when the either was introduced.

Ed

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Carb boots part no. [they're called: insulator, carb by Honda]: 16211-MN5-000
.....papasmurf

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
If you're going to replace the 'insulators' then you should also replace the 4 clamps that hold the carb to the manifold.
You need 2 of each number.
16218-MN5-000 and 16219-MN5-000

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
if you're gonna pull the carbs off, might not be a bad idea to go a little deeper and check the vacuum lines under the rubber mat, there are two on the front of the intake manifold just below the rubber mat that go to the IASA check valve, my '94 has two more on the back of the intake, again just below the rubber mat that T together and go to the ECU

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys,

I had a mini tech day with Dingdong. We pulled the carbs and changed out the lines. All in all, it was not too difficult of a job. It took us about 8 hours to complete the job (including a run to the auto parts store and lunch).

It was a great time with a great fellow.

Thank you Dingdong :bow:

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.