Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1500 and, and i always looked at the 1500 at the real goldwing, and as a sport touring the 1800.
the 1800 has an handling and breaks that are from the space compared to the 1500! also burns less gas...and runs faster.
I am starting to get interested on the 1800 but....:

many honest 1800 owners which also had a 1500 they told me that the 1800 isn't as reliable as the 1500 and that the 1800 is not as well builded as the 1500.

Where is the truth on all this and where are the weak points of the 1800 ?? and most of all, what are the main differences between the first version of the 1800 till the last one?

thanks for you help in letting me understand

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
This is probably one for the General Discussion forum. It's been asked and answered in other threads before.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a 1500 and, and i always looked at the 1500 at the real goldwing, and as a sport touring the 1800.
the 1800 has an handling and breaks that are from the space compared to the 1500! also burns less gas...and runs faster.
I am starting to get interested on the 1800 but....:

many honest 1800 owners which also had a 1500 they told me that the 1800 isn't as reliable as the 1500 and that the 1800 is not as well builded as the 1500.

Where is the truth on all this and where are the weak points of the 1800 ?? and most of all, what are the main differences between the first version of the 1800 till the last one?

thanks for you help in letting me understand
you might be right but can't find anything...and further more...since this website changed....i can't understand a thing anymore....:grin:

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
you might be right but can't find anything...and further more...since this website changed....i can't understand a thing anymore....:grin:
I guess there should be stickies for questions such as this one because they come back regularly.

Theses topics often have no definitive answer but maybe a table for each one listing identified pros and cons would help reduce the number of times we revisit them?

From reading some of the past discussions on the topic you raise, it seems to me the the 1800 is definitely more nimble but has a bit less luggage space and legroom for taller people. A few issues with frame welding and water cooling circuit on earlier models, but not show-stoppers really. Opinions on looks seem divided. Overall I would say if you can afford one it's probably an "upgrade" you would not regret.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I have a 1500 and was wondering the same thing. of course the 1800 is going to be a newer toy. I sat on an 1800 and at 6'4" tall, it was a little cramped. I would definitely have to with floorboards if I decide to get an 1800. I do like the look of the 1800. They look a lot less "boxy" than the older models.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
IMO every new model was an improvement over the previous... I have the 1500 but have many hours on borrowed and rented 1800s. As much as I love my 1500 and plan on keeping it for a while, the next bike will probably be an 1800: it handles better, stops better, fuel injection, better lighting (ugly), available ABS,....

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
1500 is a classic already, the 1800 is ugly and will never be a classic !

·
Premium Member
67,635 Posts
The 1500 is the cruiser.. More comfortable, lots more storage and until you tweak out the 1800, the 1500 is a wizard in the twisters.. The 1800 doesn't have the ground clearance.. They're both a pain in the a$$ to work on..........
The 1800 has a little more power, better brakes, a louder horn and about the same gas mileage.. If you have long legs, good luck..........

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
Who is that says an 1800 is less reliable than a 1500? They have everything going for them, fuel injection (proven over a few decades to be a much better fuel system). An aluminum frame which will never rust. Easier to service. Lighter, faster, more efficient, handle better, better brakes. No particular problems that won't happen to any other machine. The only thing better about a 1500 is roominess.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Who is that says an 1800 is less reliable than a 1500? They have everything going for them, fuel injection (proven over a few decades to be a much better fuel system). An aluminum frame which will never rust. Easier to service. Lighter, faster, more efficient, handle better, better brakes. No particular problems that won't happen to any other machine. The only thing better about a 1500 is roominess.

Exactly !

So for those of us that want a touring bike, the 1500 is still your best bet. Want a sportbike with a fairing and some small bags attached, get a 1800....

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Well I decided to have both. I have a 97 1500 and a 2005 1800. I like them both.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I'm pretty sure the sound system is better on the 1800. Thats actually a big thing for me, not so much for a lot of others on the site.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
IMO every new model was an improvement over the previous... I have the 1500 but have many hours on borrowed and rented 1800s. As much as I love my 1500 and plan on keeping it for a while, the next bike will probably be an 1800: it handles better, stops better, fuel injection, better lighting (ugly), available ABS,....
I think the lights are purrrrrrrty !:applause:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I was on the fence for awhile deciding if I wanted to upgrade to an 1800. Then I decided to pull the trigger, and I flew down to Houston and bought a 2010 with 2000 miles on her. I rode it home in a day and a half, the last day was 825 miles. The only thing that was sore on me when I got home were the cheeks on my face from grining all the way home. To me the bike feels more comfortable, you sit more into it then on top like the 1500.

Then 2 weeks later a couple of buddys and I went down to southern Missouri and Arkansas and rode some fantastic roads. The 1800 for me handles the twistys with alot less work than the 1500 does. I feel that I am pushing the 1500 into the turns, and the 1800 all you have to do is lean.

Don't get me wrong the 1500 is still a great bike. Yes it has a little more room in the trunk and saddle bags, we will have to learn to pack a little less on trips. The 1800 seems to have a little more room in the seat for the rider and passenger(according to my wife). All in all both are fantastic bikes in there own way.

By the way I have a very nice 93 Aspencade in the FOR SALE section.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
2012 definitely handles better than my 88 and the ride quality is really close to my 88 1500 with Progressives all around. The luggage on the 2012 is larger than previous 1800's and pretty close to 1500. Our helmets will fit IN both bikes but not earlier 1800's.
I am a long legged 6'1" and didn't notice being cramped. I was just thrilled to get the chance to test drive a 2012 at Niehaus Cycle.

·
New Guy
791 Posts
i've had two 1500's and enjoyed them both a great deal ... very luxurious feeling, though a bit on the Eldo side of things. (both had stock saddles and aftermarket windshields).

the 1800 i bought last spring is much more of a crotch rocket on steroids ... an awful lot like my old ST but bigger. i'm 5'11" and on the clydesdale side of body build ... i find the corbin saddle / driver positioning fits me very comfortably and makes for a good ride on back roads or freeway. i wish the cases on the 1800 had more room, but all in all, i'd take the 18 over either of my previous 15's.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
I could ride any bike and enjoy it!!!!
Think I'll go for a ride while you guys are hashing this out.:waving:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Opinions on this are like your pinky; everyone has one. This is an individual choice predicated on so many things, especially one's budget. I bought a one owner, low mileage 1500 for 3500 as it was within my budget compared to 1800's costing 10-20k. Either bike is a winner and a good choice. Depends on what you can afford.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.