Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 1500 Temp gauge hardly ever moves. It does respond slightly when I turn the switch on. Could this be an indication of a bad temp sending unit or could it be a bad gauge? Also, what tells the cooling fans to turn on? I am concerned that it might be the temp sending unit. Any help will be appreciated.

Bob

PS. As part of my 80th birthday, my wife and I are now on the way back from our Atlantic to the Pacific ride. We still have several days ahead before returning to Virginia.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Bob
It could be the sending unit. Are the fans coming on in traffic? What is the ambient temperature?
The troubleshooting says sensor or faulty gauge or stuck open thermostat.

You could stop at a Harbor Freight and get a gun temperature reader. Good for tire temps too.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Check fuse #8 and relay #3(tail/main)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

For fans check fuse #4, if good and fans don't come on, thermostatic switch inspection.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

HAPPY BIRTHDAY?!!!!!!

·
Administrator
27,899 Posts
imported post

There is a switch on the bottom of the left radiator that controls the fans, the temp sending unit for the gauge is on the thermostat housing. Could be the thermostat is stuck open and the engine is not warming up enough to turn the fans on but I would think it would get warm enough to show on the gauge in hot weather and at low speeds or stopped.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where on the engine is the temp sending unit for my 1500? Thought I might check and be sure the connector wire is still attached. Hope I don't have to remove much plastic to get at the sending unit.
Thanks for the help.
Bob

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Repair Manual says "remove left radiator and left fan "

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
The temp gauge sender is on the thermostat housing and can be a bit of a bugger to get at (yep, behind the left fan).

It may be easier to test the gauge by shorting the sense wire to ground befor3 you dig. (shorted and key ON, the gauge should go full hot)

If you do get to the temp sensor on the t-stat... there's a ground wire on one of the t-stat mounting bolts - depending on your luck - When that wire/ground fails to ground properly, the gauge will read low temp (increased resistance to ground).

What year and model is your 1500 there Bob? and do your fans turn on when idling or crawling in traffic for a while? I'm gonna assume that you've got coolant-level setup right, right? (collant'd have to be very low to cause the sender to read low, but possible)

Depending on year/model, the sender's wire should be green with a blue stripe -- Shorting it to ground (key ON) will let ya validate that the meter is good (or not). For most 1500s, this Green (blue stripe) wire can be touched under the right-fairing pocket in the large WHITE connector there (like 18 wires or so). And from there it'll run through a RED connector mounted above the right-side fan...

... it'll be worth your time to check the gauge and these two connectors before getting to the sender unit - corrosion in the conenctors above the right fan is not uncommon and might be the extra resistance that would make a good gauge indicate low temperatures.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will Check- thanks

My bike is a CSC Trike- 1994 1500 SE. I will be home tomorrow night after doing my cross country ride so will have a chance to check things out at that time. I do appreciate all the help and any other suggestions will also be appreciated.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.