Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just picked up a 90 1500 and the windshield is way high. Not shure what the stock hieght is supposed to be but this one is way over my head. Anyone know Whatthe stock size windshield is supposed to be?

Wilf

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

27” high Wilf, from bottom to top centre of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

mine looks just like` the one in your avitar pic. That looks way high. is it stock
Wilf

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Satan,that looks like a "plus 4" w/s,there also is a "plus 2" w/s that is a bit shorter,which is what I have on my '90 Aspy.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Stock windshield height on a 1500 is 21 1/2" from the top of the rubber strip on the windshield garnish, to the top of the shield.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank's dusty mine is 30" !!!!!
wilf

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I know that Crescent Moon Cycles sells 1200 windshields. I just left their shop 1/2 hr ago. They probably sell 1500 windshields also. Here is their # 928-759-0334

They quoted $80 for the 1200 windshield. I had it in my hands, but may buy the wraparound version instead(also had that 1 in my hands). They quoted me $138. They were both shorter than mine. It's nice living 10 miles from a Classic Goldwing shop :action:

I'm in the same boat. I have too tall a windshield and mine looks so scratched up, it's hard to see at night with headlights glaring on it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

If it's in good shape, but to tall. Cut it to you liking. Mark to your liking and put duct tape below your mark to protect from scratching and cut it with a saber saw. Clean the edge witha single cut file and Go ride. Terry

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I'm going to make a shorty shield out of my present one after I buy a new one. That way, I can feel like I'm in a blast furnace when riding in Phoenix :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

The old rule of thumb is that when riding on level ground and looking on down the road, you should be looking 1.5" (+ or -) over the top of the shield.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I think I will masking tape it till i find a good hieght and cut it there. Probly loose 8 to 10 inche's
Wilf

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Mine is 29" tall, and I look through it.

Here in Phoenix, it is my blast furnace firewall.
It will stay until I move somewhere a lot cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Wilf, you have the right idea. put on the tape and ride it until you are sure where you want to cut it.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

MRTLC wrote:
If it's in good shape, but to tall. Cut it to you liking. Mark to your liking and put duct tape below your mark to protect from scratching and cut it with a saber saw. Clean the edge witha single cut file and Go ride. Terry
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a single cut file?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
MRTLC wrote:
what is a single cut file?

It's a file that isn't a *******. The cutting grooves aren't crisscrossed. It will leave a smoother edge than a *******.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

That sure clarified it!??

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Takes the right tools and a bit of skill to trim a windshield without marring it, and to produce a finished edge that looks somewhat professionally done. I trimmed my OEM windscreen shorter so I could look over it. I drew a line using a fine tip permanent marker onto the front side of the windscreen where I wanted it trimmed to. To do this I measured down and recreated the exact same curvature. I then protected the windscreen by using several layers of masking tape... under the marked line, and trimmed the excess windscreen off using a mini bandsaw. I then finish sanded, to the line, using a bench sander, and then dressed and radiused the edges a little by hand using fine sandpaper. The finished result was better than the OEM edge. This is one method... there's likely many ways to do this and achieve a decent result. If you don't have the tools or the skills to do this, personallyI'd recommend you take your windscreen to someone who does.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
imported post

I don't know much but my windshield is tall. I read somewhere to use pledge on the shield inside and outside so I tried it. The thing looks brand new and you can't even see a scratch

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I too use Pledge, works good on older screens. I wish my windscreen was high, I find myself crouching down to see through it and buffer the wind. Specially during slab riding with the big trucks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.