Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 93 1500 just clicks when trying to start. I have checked the neutral sw, pulled in the clutch, checked reverse, battery measures +12V or more even when I press the starter button. The battery was new this spring.

I washed the bike including the area around the tripple tree/ top of forks etc. I wonder if I got water in the ignition wiring or something. I plugged my battery charger in to insure lots of juice and when I turn the ignition switch on the charger jumps to high charge level as soon as I hit the starter button. It remains high for perhaps 10 seconds and then drops down to a "charge complete" level.

I pulled each of the relays and fuses on the left side of bike one at a time and tried starting to try and isolate one particulare circuit- none of them eliminated the problem.

I hear a click both by the solenoid and over by the fuse block when hitting the starter button.

Any ideas what to try next?

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Did you check your kill switch?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

yes I checked the kill switch

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

You need to check for voltage on the starter itself when you push the button. If the solenoid is clicking then everything that makes it work is OK so it might not be making contact or the starter may be bad. You have checked to be sure it's not in reverse haven't you?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

yup I checked reverse- is the starter terminal just to the right (forward of) of the battery/main fuse with a red rubber boot over it? And is the solenoid in the round rubber ring on the right side of the battery compartment?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Make sure your terminals are clean and connected tightly.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Remove and Clean your Battery connections. They may LOOK Clean from Front, but back that touches could have corrosion and not making good contact.NOW ASK ME how I KNOW this LOLLOL!!!

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I cleaned and tightened every connection I could get at- had the battery out and back in. I am not really sure where the starter is however.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

wingsound wrote:
My 93 1500 just clicks when trying to start. I have checked the neutral sw, pulled in the clutch, checked reverse, battery measures +12V or more even when I press the starter button. The battery was new this spring.

I washed the bike including the area around the tripple tree/ top of forks etc. I wonder if I got water in the ignition wiring or something. I plugged my battery charger in to insure lots of juice and when I turn the ignition switch on the charger jumps to high charge level as soon as I hit the starter button. It remains high for perhaps 10 seconds and then drops down to a "charge complete" level.

I pulled each of the relays and fuses on the left side of bike one at a time and tried starting to try and isolate one particulare circuit- none of them eliminated the problem.

I hear a click both by the solenoid and over by the fuse block when hitting the starter button.

Any ideas what to try next?
with what you descibed, i'd say silinoid switch is bad. the diode could cause this also.

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

The solenoid clicks when I hit the starter. I will check it's operation tonight however since I have read here that it still may not be actually working. WhAt is this solenoid anyhow? Is it a dealer only part of is there an automotive part replacement?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

My 96 has a tricky starter button. When you push it, it clicks as you describe, but then with an ever so slight decrease in pressure, the starter motor goes. There must be 2 circuits in the starter button. Maybe it is that button for you.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thats interesting- so when you first push the starter button the solenoid clicks etc. but the starter does not engage until you decrease pressure?

On mine it acts like the solenoid is shorting the electrical system or something when pressing the starter button.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

There are two starter relays. One is beside the battery and the other is below that next to the frame rail. Check them both. Also you can check the starter button itself. Disassemble the right switch unit and while it is apart push the starter button and check to see if the screw hole that holds the button in place has expanded from years of pushing on it allowing the whole switch to move backwards. I had the same problem once and cured it by putting a small self taping screw behind the starter button holder which stopped it from moving backwards and loosing contact. ..........GM

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

What purpose do the two starter relays serve? When you say next to the battery on which side? To the left ot towards the rear?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

wingsound wrote:
Thats interesting- so when you first push the starter button the solenoid clicks etc. but the starter does not engage until you decrease pressure?

On mine it acts like the solenoid is shorting the electrical system or something when pressing the starter button.
if your lights go off, when you push stater button i'd say its the starter button, is bad.

if lights stay on, when button is pushed, i'd say bad silinoid switch.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

wingsound wrote:

if your lights go off, when you push stater button i'd say its the starter button, is bad.

if lights stay on, when button is pushed, i'd say bad silinoid switch.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

I'm working on the bike now, it seems that starter relay A fails the test- but, it's not that easy! I bridge the two terminals (which should cause the starter to operate correct?) and the only thing that happens is the relay B clicks- no starter action! Oh, and no lights dimming either.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

I had the samesymptoms not long ago, it turned out to be the start switch which someone has mentioned. Several long shots of contact cleaner, then some dielectric spray lub took care of the problem. Didn't even have to take it apart. Haven't had the problem since.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

I removed the cable from the post on the side of the starter and using a battery connected it to ground and the starter terminal. I get absolutely nothing! No clicks, sparks or anything. I put a volt meter in the clip lead circuit and measured 12.7V from the battery no load and 7.9V when connected to the starter.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

I removed the starter from the bike and hooked it to a battery- nothing! I have not removed the gear drive from the end of the starter, might that be "stuck"?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.