Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 89 1500 just wont kick at all all relays are clicking solenoid is clicking but starter not turning.Battery not great so jumped it off the car battery still nothing.The neutral light nor the reverse light are not lighting either. Any suggestions

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

When was the last time you had her running ?

This cold weather is hell on the battery.If the bike has been lying up for a while I would uggest a full charge on the battery . A jump will only give her a surge of power to get her going but the battery may not be getting enough of a charge.

Hope this helps

Eric

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

check your mainfuse at the solenoid ,,,they will degrade after a while,,,,
neutral switch could be bad......or
starters bad......or
batterys bad... check all batt and stater connections.

Make sure you have not flooded a cylinder with fuel,,,, sometimes a float will stick open and if you do not shut off the petcock then its possible to have a cylinder fill with fuel and not be able to turn over ,
to check this remove the sparkplugs , stand clear and hit starter button.
Fuel will fly out of a cylinder if this happened .
You will need to change the oil and filter if this happened=========== do not run it with gas in the oil.
OH HECK DOES THIS BIG OLD WING HAVE FUEL INJECTION???? IF SO DISREGARD LAST PORTION!!!

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

Check fuse #8 and relay #3. Switch the relay with another one like #1, the horn relay, to see if it works.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

Did the headlight go out, but not the dash lights? If so, it's not the relay or battery, mine did the exact same thing. So I rolled it down the hill and push started it and rode it, then when I went out the next day and it was fine. It did it once since then and I wiggled the key, the reverse lever, the shifter and the starter switch and it started right up. I think it was in the neutral safety switch, but until I can positively diagnose I cannot be sure.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, jiggle the reverse lever, it the reverse cables are out of adjustment a little bit that often will get the switch to turn back on. The fact that you can't get either the neutral or reverse light on tends to indicate the reverse switch acting up.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Yes , for once i can also apply to this technical forum and agree with all the GURU'S :Dthat the problem most likely is the reverse handle. :action:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for reply hasnt run since end of August I charged the batt but no difference

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Picasso fuse is fine cant check fuel situation as starter is not turning does not seem to be a fuel issue.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Cheers Daveo 430 fuse ok relay clicking

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Donnie headlight is staying on and bright dash light(oil light) is ok running lights ok might get the wife to tow me with the car no hills around and a bit hard to push start with the sidecar

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

To kittyrat and exavid have just been out at the bike pressed the starter as usual everything clicks but nothing else. When I turn the key and it goes through its check everything lights even the R light except the neutral light and then goes out .I engaged the reverse gear and nothing when I disengaged the reverse nothing I had to try it a few times before I got a click from anything. Will whip out the reverse switch and check it.
Thanks to SA wingrider also.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Yeah I was just wondering the same thing or the side stand contact but I wouldn't expect to hear any clicking noises at all:baffled:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

No difference clutch in or out the bike is probably in neutral as I usually park it in neutral.

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
imported post

viv, just put a thread on, check relay next to dog bone fuse under seat, its next to rear fender. has relay connected to it, unhook relay and try chargeing bat. then plug relay back in, my bike was totally dead, and it worked for me. my relays clicked also.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Hi to everybody that helped I think I sussed it I decided to pull out the reverse switch to check it and as soon as I did I got a Neutral light .Took out the switch and checked it for operation moving smoothly put it back in and presto neutral light and reverse light not enough juice in battery to start her up but she is trying. will try again later when wife comes back with car.
Can anyone tell me if the plunger on the end(inside engine casing) of the switch should be flat or rounded and approximatley what length it should be I think mine is worn(it is 21 years old after all) will get back soon.Thanks again Wingers

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear it was the switch, sure sounded like it. I can't tell you about the plunger all I've ever had to do with those is adjust the cables to get things working again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.