Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Forks seem to be the hot topic as of late so I might as well chime in.What started out as a simple rear tire replacement last year turned into a three week ordeal that turned into a $1200 repair bill with me doing most of the work!:shock: Expensive bill shortened I had to have the fork seals replaced and since then I have a rattle sound from the front springs. Bike has an EZ steer,sidecar, system on it and not sure of the springs being stock or aftermarket. Could the repair shop have misassembled them allowing for them to rattle about as I don't remember this before hand. If so what should I be looking for? Just to stir the pot I have a factory manual,well worth the $$$$, and I'm a darksider with the sidecar bike.:waiting:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It's hard to see how springs can rattle, by nature they are a tight fit. Have you ruled out brake pad rattle?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If you have a set of Progressive springs installed, it could be that the mechanic reinstalled the springs loosely wound end down, instead of the tightly wound end down.

Here's what Progressive has to say about the subject -

[align=left]3. Install your new fork springs into the forks. Mechanically, it makes no difference which way the springs are installed.[/align]
[align=left]Some manuals will state; install the spring with the close wound end towards the bottom. This is done because sometimes there will be less spring noise. The springs will perform exactly the same regardless of which direction they are placed.[/align]

[align=left]If you don't have Progressives installed it could be that if your bike is pre 95(?) where it has a two spring system (later models use 1 spring and a spacer) the mechanic may have left out the washer that separates the two springs. [/align]

[align=left]Either way, if indeed your noise is coming from inside the forks,it would be impossible to tell without pulling the fork caps to check ifeither conditions apply.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Dusty[/align]

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

No, nope not brake pads rattling. Those were replaced after the forks puked oil all over them. It is a spring clanging about in the forks. Bike is a 93se with unknown springs in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.