imported post

Is 150000miles on a 90 1500 to many?

Wilf
what are the issues common to 90 1500's

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The engine will probably be fine. I would pay more attention to the suspension and final drive.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

So its just about run in now.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

I am just a bit over 182k on my 94 . No problems . Does this bike have a heal/toe shifter ? Those seem to be the root of trans problems . Try and get a maint history if possible . Like your 1100s the 1500 needs timing belts changed ,hopefully once already by this 150k mark .

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Robin wrote:
So its just about run in now.
What he means is it is just getting broke in.
If it has had the service done regularly, it should be good for at least twice that. The owner of JBJ Cycles in CA has over 400,000 on his own. They were built very well to last a long time.the 90 was a good year. Has it been sitting for any length of time? The gas can be a problem after a few months. Check the smell of the gas and use a mirror and flashlight to check the tank for rust. If runs good & been serviced regular and run regular go for it. All the fluids need to be changed every couple years at most (brake & clutch dot 4 brake fluid, antifreeze and thermostat, rear differential oil and splines lubed, front fork oil and bushings and seals, steering head bearings cleaned and retorqued, speedo cable lubed or replaced, Brake pads and caliper operatation. Tires over 5 years old need to be replaced. These are some things besides oil and filters.
The best to you.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

I own a 1999 1500 with 183,000km,which is just over 110,000 miles and up until now it has been a great bike,but it now requires the clutch replaced,good luck with yours

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
I am just a bit over 182k on my 94 . No problems . Does this bike have a heal/toe shifter ? Those seem to be the root of trans problems . Try and get a maint history if possible . Like your 1100s the 1500 needs timing belts changed ,hopefully once already by this 150k mark .
I see yousaid the heal and toe shifter was a problem. Could you give more information aboutthose problems.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer
wrote: ...I see yousaid the heal and toe shifter was a problem. Could you give more information aboutthose problems
> They frequently cause Constant Rubbing of the Shift Forks in the Transmission, rather than the Intermittant Rubbing that's normal when shifting... The result is that the shift forks wear out, causing a very expensive service --(The entire engine needs to be removed, and opened)

> The Cause is an Improper Installation and/or Improper Usage of the heal/toe shifter --Typical Operator Error involves resting one's foot on the shifter, thereby causing the shift fork to constantly rub... like one long, long gear shift that never quite finishes.

My 1990 came with a heal/toe shifter... I removed it in about an hour, returning it to the stock shifter. The PO had just done the service for the worn fork, yet returned the same (problem) shiifter to the bike... It still did not shift worth a darn, but turned out that the "new" problem was merely a simple case of the clutch slave cylinder being gunked-up... I fixed that for $20, and now the bike runs like new... guess he was assuming that it needed another $2k service, hah.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

Thanks Alex for the information. My 88 shifts just fine but any help to keep it thatway is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

One of the local GWRRA members has an 89 with 277,000 miles last time I looked. He takes good care of it mechanically and cosmetically, and want to keep riding it as long as he can.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Even if the bike is perfect the mileage will scaremany potential buyers when and if you go to sell so it won't get the quick attention of a lower mileage unit.

You should however buy it at a lower price as well. It balances out if the bike has been kept in good condition.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Well pulled the string on the 1500 tonite.Picking it up later in week. I toke it for a test drive in steady rain on gravel and secondary roads!!!!
Sounds great engine started right up and runns smooth. Really did not get up to much speed but felt good . It has floorboards and heal and toe.
I test drove a new 1800 last yr and it seemed more massive at the time than this 1500 does. was quite surprised as this was my first time onboard a 1500.
$2000 and she is all mine so im happy sofar
Wilf

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

My 88 1500 has 170K or 180K on it.
Sounds like you got a good deal and should be happy for long time.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

It sounds like a good deal. Even if you have to replace some tires and belts you should be ahead of the game.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

At least you know that the bike has not sat around gumming up. Congratulations.

I would plan on doing some heavy maintenance to protect your investment. Pay special attention to your drive train.....and careful not to ride that heal/toe. Personally I would take it off but that's just me.

2,000 for a good running 15 sounds good to me.

Good luck with it!

RED

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

No prob. the 1500 Honda tranny is super tough and shifts like a tractor but when used with a heal/toe shifter they can develop a bent shifter fork from the excess force a heal/toe shifter presents while shifting.
Loose the heal/toe shifter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.