Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do any of you guys know of a replacement with more power and better sound for a 97 ? aspencade? I would like to install a cd player, or at least get better sound out of this one. I didnt know how bad it sounded until I heard the player on a friends Harley. how embarassing is that? very!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Many owners fit a CD player or MP3 player and run it through the stock audio unit. You won't gain any extra loudness from that without fitting a small amp.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Remember also that the HD sound is a priority in fairing and box design... the Goldwing speaker enclsures are lacking at best, so you will lose in a stereo war with a HAD bike...

One of our members here from Belarus does make fiberglass replacement enclosures to allow for the use of larger speakers -- which can help to narrow the margin somewhat.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Does any one know the members name or perhaps a link to his thread

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

I am interested in this as well. What about a smalll amp and where would we plug it into the harness?

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

I used the adapter that Satan is talking about. CLICK HERE for more information on it. Just recently there was another member that did a custom install. If I can find the thread, I will post that one as well...

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The member is trayk-by ( http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/users/35296.html )

He does make some excellent fiberglass work for a few bits of the GL1500, which he markets on eBay.

The speaker enclosure modifications I was thinking of are posted in http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=1169526
(Click on the "Full Topic" button at teh top right there, to see and read about some of the other audio work/integrations he's been able to do..)

(along with some of his other work) were in

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

pwhoever, your stereo set up sounds like something i would like to try. can you give me details on price, install etc. ? are you happy with it? oh yeah where can you buy this equipment? thanks for your input.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

I bargained shopped everything so it wasn't a huge price. I got one of the first radio adapters that trayk-by had produced and it cost me about $50. The last 2 he sold on ebay went for $130 and $207. But maybe if you PM him, he may be able to work out a deal for a fellow forum member. The Sony CDX-M30 was on sale at the Sony Style website for $79. The Scoche DO01B connector to connect the stereo to the bikes harnesscan be found on Ebay for $5.99 and free shipping. The wiring diagram can be found HERE. Initially I had the speakers wired in through the factory harness but have since changed that (More on that in a moment). The important pin #'s are #9 for switched +, #17 for ground, and #18 for constant or the backup +. Now if you wire the speakers into that as well then you need to know about #1 right speaker +, #2 right speaker -, #3 left speaker -, and #4 left speaker +. I have since added the PLMRA400 amp mounted in the trunk (It was another $50 at Amazon) and that allowed me to use the RCA outs from the Sony stereo to the Pyle amp. It has 4 channels so I ran new speaker wires (18ga clear from Radio Shack)to each speaker and completely bypassed the factory harness for the speakers and didn't need a fader. It is already incorporated into the stereo. I had an old set of Kenwood 4" speakers that I mounted in the rear and went with Infinity Ref-5022i in the front. I don't remember what I paid for them but they weren't too expensive. A word of caution though when using 5-1/4" speakers. They require some modding of the fairing speaker enclosures to get them in. Also you will have to do some careful grinding of the inside of the dash panel or it will bulge and eventually crack. If I had to do it over again, (and I just might one day)I would have used the Polk DB501's up front. No cutting of the opening is needed nor any grinding. But when adding speakers up front, I highly recommend installing foam speaker baffles and they will help providing a sealed speaker enclosure which the GL1500 fairing sorely lacks. The inside of the fairing is pretty much wide open and is a very poor enclosure. I found them locally but you can find them online at a decent cost by looking HERE. The speaker openings are 4-1/2 so the 4" bafles are too small but since they are flexible, the 5-1/4 should work and I suggest getting the deeper ones. They are only needed on the front speakers. The back ones have a somewhat sealed enclosure.

So what I spent"

Radio- $79

Radio mount adapter- $49

Scosche Connector- $5.99

Front Speakers- $60?

Rear Speakers- $30?

Speaker Baffles- $12

Amp- $50

Speaker wiring and hardware- $25-35?

Appx Total= $315

Now the other thing to keep in mind is that you lose the intercomonce you do this. The easiest way to get it back is to add a JMCB-2003-DU cb radio. I got mine on ebay for around $270 but I have seen them for less than that. CheckHERE for current listings. Also don't forget to check Craigs List as I see them there quite often as well. You will still need to buy a handlebar mount and the one for the Valkyrie is probably the best one. It is part #JCB03-HBK01. You will need to slightly modify it though. After you have it mounted, you will need to turnthe cbon and sit on the bike with the handlebars in the regular riding position. You will see that it is hard to see the LCD display on the CB. Taking a pair of vice grips, clamp them towards the top of the mount just under the cb. Gently twist the mount towards the left maybe about 1/8th and now you will be able to see the readout just fine. If you have a Honda cb antenna, you are ahead of the game and will only need to purchase a coax extension cable like THIS ONE and I suggest getting the 6 foot one as the 3 foot one is barely long enough. The Hondaline one has the wrong connector to match up with the J&M. Also the J&M cb has an aux in so you can connect an MP3 player to listen to tunes in your headset. J&M also makes a harness that would enable you to attach your stereo output to the CB and you could also listen to the radio in the headsets as well. I just left them separate. I only wish to hear the radio through the dash and the intercom and CB through the headsets.

To pay for everything, especially if you already have the Hondaline CB, sell your stereo and CB and you will easily break even or even make a few bucks. GL1500 radios in good working condition can fetch a decent price and the CB's, because they are no longer being produced will definitely get you a better return. Just so you know though, the sound from the new stereo setup will sound a lot better with a more customizeable soundthan stock but unless you add a subwoofer, the Harley will still have a slight edge on you. They use larger speakers on their systems so unless you can figure out a way to install 6" speakers into a custom enclosure, you will just have to settle with it. Trayk-by also makes larger custom speaker enclosures but they are not cheap. I would like one day to try and custom make some of my own.....

I hope this helps you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.