Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

as i read some of the topics on the different forums,i see alot of them that other 1500 riders have plenty of problems with their wings. i have a 2000 gl 1500se and am the third owner. i either am very fortunate or lucky,but i haven't had any problems with mine.it makes me wonder how the po rode and cared for them. by reading the posts in the forums i have been learning alot to help me in preventive maintainence. i plan on riding as long as i can in the december cold and alot of the people i no think i'm nuts.i just tell them "don't knock it if you aint tried it":applause:

couldn't be happier with wing,lots of ideas to better my ride

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yes, I can't imagine a 20 year old vehicle having any problems. Ever.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The only problems I've had with my 20 yr old bike with over 178k on it, is keeping tires, brakes and oil from becoming worn out. Now how would one go about solving that?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

My 94 1500 has been pretty much trouble free since I got it also. I had a 85 LTD for my last bike that I bought new and rode it for 25 years. It was virtually trouble free also. A lot has to do with how they are cared for as far as maintenace, how they are ridden and if they are stored in a garage when not being ridden, etc. Also you need some luck.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I have a 95 SE and other than normal maintenance and an alternator going badandruining a tirerunning something overI haven't had any issues with mine.

I'm notsure how many people are on this site but there are a lot. It would be safe to say that there is a small percentage of people having issues when you look at the number of people on the site.

I have the same issue asDusty.
My oil and tires keep wearing out.
:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
imported post

It does seem like a lot of problems with the 1500's. I have owned 3 so far and never had a problem until the Alternator failed and the turn signal switch had to be replaced on my latest 2000 SE. Most problems are just people needing help before they tackel a problem or take on a project. But there are a lot of 1500's out there. Wish I new how many. I still think the 1500 was and is the best built so far. I don't care for the 1800's. Just my 2 cents.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

I think you have to consider that most people won't post...

"I am having NO TROUBLES with my 1500" ...

Posts generally are asking for help when someone IS having trouble so you only get to read about that...

My 1500 is now at 108,00+ miles and has been reasonably trouble free, however I like to keep it that way so I do work on it.

It is my MOST RELIABLE form of transportation and I own 4 other HONDA vehicles ranging from a 1996 Accord to a 2008 CR-V. With that many drivers (4 - 2 teenage)and cars around you have to expect some problems...

But I would get on my '96 1500 tomorrow and leave for an extended trip without hesitation (except for the snow).

I KNOW it would make it and get me back.
:action:

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Supposedly according to Honda counting all the years, the 1,000,000th goldwing rolled off the assembly line in 1996. I think there are a lot of GL1500's

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

The 15 had a 13 year run. By comparison, the 4 bangers, combined, had a 13 year run. 18s are technically on year 11, but it can be assumed Honda will keep them in the lineup for a while longer.

As far as the millionth bike, was that to come off the Ohio assembly line, (which could also include other Honda cruiser models) or the millionth GL since day one? Or the millionth GL15? Can you point to a press release or magazine article?

Honda probably publishes figures as to how many, of any of their models, they sold.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Hondas in general are pretty darned reliable. I had a friend with an old beater Civic that had over 650,000 kms on it. The engine hadn't been opened, just normal routine maintenance, timing belts, sparkplugs, oil changes, etc. He retired it because the body was rusting badly. There's a lot of electrical goodies on the 1500s - IMO that added complexity can result in problems as they age. I'm not saying Honda doesn't occasionally make questionable engineering decisions, but for the most part they sure know how to build stuff!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Did a little research and this is all I could find for the number of Hondas built. Can't find anything Goldwing specific.

Found this in the Honda Motorcycle archives. it's a little dated 2005 so we are talking almost 7 years ago with this statistic.

Honda's Cumulative Worldwide Motorcycle Production Reaches 150 Million Units

TOKYO, Japan, May 9, 2005 – Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that its cumulative worldwide motorcycle production reached 150 million units at the end of April 2005 – the 57th year of production. Mass production of motorcycles began in 1949 with the “Dream Type D” model.

I'd say they have built a few more since then.:cheeky1:

·
1,717 Posts
imported post

The 1500 is a wery reliable bike and build with great finish and good materials (that is not always the same on the 1800 , when you work on them , you can see that they have tried to make it "cheaper").

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

When I found that little bit of info about the millionth bike it was only for Goldwings I will try to find it again and post the link.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

the only trouble I ever had out of my 1500 was the switches sticking, but I relate that to living a mile down a gravel road. I imagine that I will have the same problems with the 1800.

preventative maintenance goes a long way but ultimately all things mechanical will wear out if they are used. it just takes a long time with a honda.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

beenshot wrote:
preventative maintenance goes a long way but ultimately all things mechanical will wear out if they are used. it just takes a long time with a honda.
They seem toage quicker when not used.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I just got back to SoCal last week from ride leaving here Aug 12th, 90 deg, 110 in Quartzite. left NH Nov 13 at 50 deg, in the mid 30s through W VA and TN. then mid 50s days, mid 30s nights most of the way from there with 2 days in 70s around east TX. 13,000 mile trip w/o problems other than a flat on the trailer and cold fingers, should have got some heated grips on! But then I thought I'd be back before now. Even was in NH for the 24" historic snowfall and power outages.
I used to ride till the roads were covered with snow in NH in the mid 1970s, late Nov-early Dec, then when Feb thaw happened and roads were dry, got the snowmobile suits on and rode till dark.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Rudy wrote:
Yes, I can't imagine a 20 year old vehicle having any problems. Ever.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah, my '93 1500 was a piece of junk, in only 175,000 milesI had to replace the turn signal switch.:whip:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.