Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently bought my Goldwing 1500SE always had big V twins in past. I would like to ask if anyone, can lift these machines on to their full, stand. I'm an old git but both my sons have failed.

keep 'em upright people

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

The GL1500 and GL1800are the easiest off all the Wings to put on the main stand. My 19 year old girlfriend (5' 2" and 133lbs) can do it easily. It's nt so muych a question of strength as getting the knack and also not being afraind if it. I know guy who is 6' 3" and 250lbs (all weightlifter muscle) who can't pull a Wing onto the stand, yet he can pump big weights in the gym all day long.

Theres's some posts about how to pull a Wing onto the stand elsewhere on the forum. When you have done it once you will always be able to do it.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

I couldn't do it either so I bought a ride on center stand. Works beautifully, no more straining. Just put it in reverse hold it down with your foot and back it on.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

On second thought...maybe I should get a 19 year old girlfriend....nah, I couldn't keep up with the demands.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Littlewil wrote:
Recently bought my Goldwing 1500SE always had big V twins in past. I would like to ask if anyone, can lift these machines on to their full, stand. I'm an old git but both my sons have failed.

keep 'em upright people
Ha Ha! Funny that, I got my wing just over a week ago. I was a little apprehensive about its size at first, BUT not for long.

When I got it home and backed it into the garage, it sat there nestled on the side stand. I had to get it on the centre stand to work on, remove the exhausts etc... The first time I though that the brake was seized on, as it just wasn't happening, after 2 more goes up she went. It is, as already stated more about technique than brute force, just keep trying and soon you will get there.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Put your right foot on the center standlever and push down... While holding the left handlebar straight ahead with your left hand, put your right hand on the assist bar located near the seat, grip the bar and roll the bike up on the center stand to put it upright. To build confidence, have an assitant on the right side of the bike to steady it for you... . In one smooth motion, continue to put your weight down on the center stand lever while pulling the bike in a rearward motion.. It will roll up onto the center stand and remain steady by itself. Once you've done it a few times, it will become second nature.. Be sure to have approx. 2ft. of clearance behind the bike when you do this.

A tip.. It seems to work easier when NOT wearing sneakers... :weightlifter:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The lads are right, it's all about technique rather than strength. Do it once and you will always be able to do it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Some folks make the mistake of trying to pull the bike back instead of up. The idea is to stand on the centerstand foot lever, grip the passenger grab and try to separate them, pull up and push down using the left hand to steady the bike with the handlebar. Contrary (I'm just a contrarian) to a lot of advice I usually leave the side stand out in case I need to let the bike down, it's a lot easier to pull it to you if you slip, get a cramp or some such than it is to try to keep from falling away from you. If the stand is out you can pull it toward you with plenty of force and not have to worry about overdoing it and having it fall on you. I keep the side stand out when I take the bike down from the centerstand too. I know there's advice out there not to, but I can't see it. My way I have the side stand right there ready to sit the bike on prior to boarding. I've never had the side stand hit the ground while the bike comes down, so it isn't going to hurt it. I don't like to ride off the centerstand because the extra weight seems to be asking alot from the pivots, not to mention if you foul it up it might get interesting to bystanders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.