Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know if Sierra Electronics can install an RCA output from the preamp of these radios to attach an external amplifier ????...or has anybody had this done. the reason I ask for output from the preamp and not the speaker outputs is from my experience the signal from the preamp VIA RCA cables going to an external amplifier is a CLEANER signal.:baffled:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Why you you think the pre-amp to an external amp would be 'cleaner' that the integrated pre-am to amp? I could see if you were adding an external amp for more power, but cleaner?

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Predator wrote:
Why you you think the pre-amp to an external amp would be 'cleaner' that the integrated pre-am to amp? I could see if you were adding an external amp for more power, but cleaner?
cleaner meaning the signal is not going through the radio amp to an amp. just like buying separate components for a home stereo .you get an am/fmreceiver which cannot power speakers so youconnect itto an amplifier which powers the speakers. also a car stereo has RCA out puts which bypass the internal radio ampso you can attach to anexternal amplifier or you can run your speakers straight out of the radio using the internal amp.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I just sent an email to sierra...will post when I get an answer.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

kennyd wrote:
At 50+ MPH I hardly think you'd be able to detect that "cleaner" signal:?

Ever heard of the KISS principle?
And what would that be ????

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

No offense to you bro!

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

No offense taken...but I like to think out of the box, and try to make things better especially when it comes to stereos. [shadow=red]merry[/shadow][shadow=lime]Christmas[/shadow]

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

:thumbsup:

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I just got a reply from sierra, they said they don't do that kind of mod and don't suggest it. :NO:said it could burn up the radio. so I asked if they could recommend a way of hooking an external amp and which one if any.

yea I know it's already been done ...I'm just asking the experts .

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

well wayne what I posted is pretty much what was e-mailed from sales.but now my question is why is it not practical.wouldn't low level outputs be a cleaner signal than speaker line level outputs ??? and rca outputs would makeit easier to hook up to an external amp....if i'm wrong ,please fill me in. your the expert..

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

Im no expert, but I have connected many nice sounding systems in my cars and in my home. If you have preouts installed on your radio, you would have to pay shipping, parts and labor for the service, as well as un-needed down time on the bike. I dont think the human ear can detect sound quality between the two options. If it was me, I would use a quality low input converter and roll on. Use the existing output wires on the stock stereo to the converter, make it clean on the connections, and most converters are adjustable for the input signal. Back in the day, before preouts, this is how we did it for an amp...and it sounded great! Just a suggestion...and its simple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.