Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

(The title should be "1500SE thermostat replacement and fans not coming on.) It is a 2000 model year.

I am new to the board and thank you for the posts I have been reading. I am looking for a step by step (with pictures and real life experience preferred) process to remove the thermostat, test the fans and a "what to replace" while I am in there. I have read all over the place about aftermarket thermos and gaskets(a no-no), rigid hoses, replacing hoses, switches, and that the job is a nightmare, one reference puts it that he now understands how to build a Goldwing, just lay a thermostat on the floor and start putting parts around it.

I am intimidated, the thermostat and gasket is going to to cost about 40 bucks along with the silica free antifreeze and two new cornering bulbs, I should be lighter by a buck 50 or so, hopefully.

Any help, repeated thoughts are welcome, I need the reminders, pics please, and real life experience I would appreciate.

Sam

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi SamSuva, and welcome, it sounds very much like time to invest in a Workshop manual, the procedures you requested are well documented in them, and if you need help with a "how to" issue during the procedures, please post and we will do our best for you. The appropriate manual for yours will probably be available on eBay or Amazon, or perhaps a site search in the "for sale" forum will get you one.
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Hi SamSuva, and welcome, it sounds very much like time to invest in a Workshop manual, the procedures you requested are well documented in them, and if you need help with a "how to" issue during the procedures, please post and we will do our best for you. The appropriate manual for yours will probably be available on eBay or Amazon, or perhaps a site search in the "for sale" forum will get you one.
Cheers,
Peter.
I second that....the manual has a logic tree that takes you down the relay path, the fan's motor switch (temp controlled), and fan motor (and associated harness and connector) test. This is besides having a sticking thermostat, which you may not have ? Then there is the rad cap test.....

..unless you have already determined that the thermostat is bad.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
The fan switch is easy to get to. It's bolted into the bottom of I think the left radiator. Bottom cowl and radiator grille off and you have access to it.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
What year is this bike and how many miles on it?

Correct your location please.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,663 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Fulltime RV'er IS my location. For four-six months under contract I work for different campgrounds. Every 4 to 6 months I am in a different state. I am currently in Alabama, near Talladega. In March 2013 I will be in Ohio, near Columbus. It is a crazy life, but I would not want it any other way. I have not been in the same city/state for almost five years.

Tech manuals are a good start, however the research I have been doing suggests they leave a great deal out. If there is nothing available, I will post pics and what I find when I do the replacement here. I do that for RV repair now, hopefully the Wing will be as cooperative. I am really looking for a pics and walk through.

The thermo is stuck or it's vapor locked. I was about a quart low and added to the reservoir, the fluid did not go down, and when the temp gauge went into the normal-hot(3/4 plus), there was a release of fluid and a hissing noise behind the radiators on the engine.

The fans had come on until about two rides ago, the second time the temp gauge climbed. The last time I had the Wing idling, the temp gauge went to normal-hot and the hissing started without the fans.

Thank you for your direction to the tech manuals. If there is an in depth discussion of the thermostat replacement, possibly with pictures, please let me know.

Sam

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Then you need to open the radiator cap on the right side of the handlebars under the plastic removable filler like getting to the reservoir tank on the left. Fill radiator(cold bike) Start bike and let warm (with cap off) until the fans cycle on and off, shut down the bike, let cool to touch on the motor and then top radiator and cap it to burp out the air in the system.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
If the cooling system is very low on coolant the fans probably are not going to work as designed. The fan temp sensor needs to be covered in coolant for it to work properly. If the coolant level gets low you will have air pockets in the system.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Also Sam, go to your local Honda Car Dealer to get anti freeze. Same stuff and alot cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My many thanks to you gentlemen.

The coolant level was low. The radiator took two quarts of 50/50 phosphate and silica free mixed antifreeze and water. Ran the engine to operating temperature, burped the radiator, then filled and burped again. All is well. The bike does not overheat, the fans come on, the cornering lights still don't work.

Ah well, there is a great led conversion for this model I will try when the funds come around.

Much appreciation,
Sam

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
There are several antifreeze threads, and even good ol' Prestone is 100% silicate free. Just check the lable.
The Clymer manual has worked very well for me as I do minor disassembly every year for basic maintenance (coolant, visual, plugs, air filters, splines, etc). That combined with the knowlegable folks here is plenty to get you elbow deep in trouble.
Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Does the cornering lights work when you turn on the turn signal ? Mine is set up that way ! Any comments? But mine is a 1992.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Does the cornering lights work when you turn on the turn signal ? Mine is set up that way ! Any comments? But mine is a 1992.
Please start a new topic as that is not mentioned in this post topic, saves confusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.