Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my '08 new in Dec '09 and never had an indication that the battery was getting weak. After talking with John (AZgl1800) last fall, I took his suggestion and hooked up the Battery Tender Plus. The battery tender has been connected all winter and with the green light on I assumed it was good to go. I removed the tender, turned the key on, hit the starter and ........ nothing. Lights and indicators were dim and flickered when the start switch was pushed. After removing the battery I noticed that one cell was bulging on the sides and out the bottom. My question is, that with 9 years of perfect service and failing only after, at John's suggestion, 5 months on the tender, should I ask John to replace my battery?>:)

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I purchased my '08 new in Dec '09 and never had an indication that the battery was getting weak. After talking with John (AZgl1800) last fall, I took his suggestion and hooked up the Battery Tender Plus. The battery tender has been connected all winter and with the green light on I assumed it was good to go. I removed the tender, turned the key on, hit the starter and ........ nothing. Lights and indicators were dim and flickered when the start switch was pushed. After removing the battery I noticed that one cell was bulging on the sides and out the bottom. My question is, that with 9 years of perfect service and failing only after, at John's suggestion, 5 months on the tender, should I ask John to replace my battery?>:)
Asking is one thing.....getting a replacement is another.....:ROFL:

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts
In John's defense it probably would have failed anyway. It's likely 10 + years old, which is way out of the ordinary.

·
Administrator
57,467 Posts

I placed an order with Batteries Plus, but they rejected my Visa card :rofl:

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Wow that's almost going to be impossible to replace 9 year old batteries are hard to find. You might have to settle for a new one and hope it lasts for a couple of years, but if you really want to stretch it a little maybe you can find a case that's not bulged out and just put the guts in that case. Be careful not to spill the acid on yourself.

·
635 Posts
knock on wood i still have the original one in my 2012 i bought in the fall of 2011 so i'm working on 8 years,never took the battery out, never unhooked it always used my battery minder from year one that thing really works. so now since i jinked myself i'll be looking for a battery tomorrow , will be replacing when i head to Alaska next year thats for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts