Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 GL 1800 with a motor that is knocking very badly. My question is: Will a motor from a 2010 Gl 1800 work in my 2002 GL 1800?
BMS

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I know a 2012 frame will fit on an 02 engine, done that. You sure it wouldn't be more economical to fix your 02 engine...how about some details on the failure?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Have you researched the alternator drive failures. They make an awful noise. They typically get quite when the rpms are increased. Here is a link that demonstrates how one sounds that has failed.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Oddly enough, the ENGINE actually sounds good. That rattle is not the power plant, IMO. jimsjinx

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Here is the story:
I recieved a call from a guy asking me if i would put his 2002 GL1800 back together again. He siad he over reved it and took out the alternator drive. He took it to a local Honda dealer and they tore it apart. They rebuilt the clutch. Why I don't know. after sitting there over a year still all apart the owner went down and gathered it up. He took it to his garage and had one of his mechanics put a new alternator drives in and put the motor back together again. It set for two more years until he called me. I told him to bring it up. Which he did. We started on it but got busy and had to set it aside. I've had it for almost a year. This week we worked on it and got it running. It started Knocking right away. After about 1 minute it stalled and the starter would barely turn the motor over. After letting it set a few minutes it started and I let it idle it did the same thing. It seems to me like it spun a rod bearing because the motor is getting tight.
The sound is very much like that in the video but it has a new alternator drive.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Well I would think that if a 2002 engine will fit a 2012 frame, there's your answer....Is this going to be your Wing or your buddies???....If its yours tear the engine back down sell the heads etc, make a little to help on the price of a newer engine....

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
To me that video does not sound like a rod or bearing knock at all. A rod or crank bearing failure will result in a very even knocking sound which increases with engine speed. The noise in that video is very erratic and not really a knock at all, more of a grinding, crunching sound. A bearing knock will be a lot like a valve tappet tick, but much louder and lower in tone. It will sound like a hammer hitting something inside the engine, and will be very even and regular.

Since an 1800 engine is computer controlled, doesn't it have a rev limiter?

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
JerryH you are correct! to you and me it doesn't sound a bit like an engine problem at all, it most definately sounds like an auxiliary noise, especially when the guy revs it up! But I can understand a 1800 owner with little or no mechanical knowledge getting all paranoid over it and placing it in the hands of bloodsucker with equal experience.
Personally, I just think they're lucky that the goldwing has morphed long enough for Honda to realize you ought to be able to change out your alternator without pulling the motor.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Please read the thread.:readit:
The video is not of the bike in question.

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Ken,
The motor is definatly getting tight to turn over. I don't think the alternator drive would do that.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
That's a bummer, BMS. I was kinda wondering about the ADG when I asked for details. The few ADG's I've replaced have all shed some chunks into the rear engine cover/crankcase area. Luckily I've always been able to account for all the 'floaters'. Maybe a chunk from your old ADG found it's way to a bad place?

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I recieved the motor it was repaired and put back together. I had no part in replacing the alternaton drive. But I did see the old drive.
What causes the ADG to go out? The owner said he was showing off to a harley guy and he reved it hard and it started knocking. Thats all I know.
BMS

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
The 2010 engine will fit. A chap over here busted his 03 engine on a kerb. He was lucky enough to find a 2010 engine from a crashed GL1800 about 150 miles away. He also took the 2010 alternator as they are higher output. The earlier alternator will spin to death in a 2006 and later model.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Blame it on the part itself...it's likely it was ready to fail and the owner just helped it along. It was a known issue on early 1800s. The fix (replace the part) was reliable to my knowledge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.