Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone do this job? Looking at doing this project down the road. Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Depending how old or young your 1800 is, and being as the brakes are so good on 18's I am no sure you would get any great benifit as yet WR.?

Unless you are noticing a deterioration that you can attribute to the hoses, you could probably leave this for some good long while.

Just my 3 penn'th worth. :waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You would naturally when you service the bike check the brake and clutch lines. Most manuals will recommend to change them at no longer than 5 years. (maybe it is the manual, maybe it is me, have that on my mind )

So again it is personal preference. New OEM hoses are good, and there is no improvement over them to the braided lines. (when new and in good condition)

If you let them go for 20 years yes they might bet spongy and swell under the braking forces, get dirty, full of crud and so on.

With service and a change of fluid every two years or when you see it get dark brown in color will prevent corrosion, water etc from getting into the system.

The braided steel lines do prevent expansion, do look better on exposed bikes, but on a Wing you cannot see them much anyway, they are an improvement on some bikes that have weak brakes as they give a more positive feel to the controls. And a more direct boost in braking power. (The 1800 does not have weak brakes. )

With a 1800, and I do not know if yours had ABS, I think the OEM is the best. All forces are balanced to the system, so I look at it that way.

As far as price, Whew!! Braided cables for the 1800 throughout, well just one for a Harley and the fittings to mate with it was $70 dollars, on a 1800 you will need 7 cables. at least. Counting the one that comes back from the anti dive.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I just did a SS Braid line upgrades to one of my 78's. Huge improvement over the 30 odd year old OEM lines. As already mentioned I doubt you would notice much on a 1800 system unless you are seeing or feeling flex in the lines. It is a fair amount of work and expense with probably questionable bennefits for a 18.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

There have been posts about the GL1800 Hyd. hose for the rear suspension, getting slightly expanded over time. Traxxion Dynamics has made up a braded hose replacement. I think it is about $100. I believe anytime a rubber hyd hose is replaced with braded, it is an upgrade. When I get to that point, I will have to decide if I want to go with the braded or install the low mileage hose from a Trike take off I have. It will depend on the time - mileage I get from the OEM style Hyd. hose.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
You would naturally when you service the bike check the brake and clutch lines. Most manuals will recommend to change them at no longer than 5 years. (maybe it is the manual, maybe it is me, have that on my mind )

So again it is personal preference. New OEM hoses are good, and there is no improvement over them to the braided lines. (when new and in good condition)

If you let them go for 20 years yes they might bet spongy and swell under the braking forces, get dirty, full of crud and so on.

With service and a change of fluid every two years or when you see it get dark brown in color will prevent corrosion, water etc from getting into the system.

The braided steel lines do prevent expansion, do look better on exposed bikes, but on a Wing you cannot see them much anyway, they are an improvement on some bikes that have weak brakes as they give a more positive feel to the controls. And a more direct boost in braking power. (The 1800 does not have weak brakes. )

With a 1800, and I do not know if yours had ABS, I think the OEM is the best. All forces are balanced to the system, so I look at it that way.

As far as price, Whew!! Braided cables for the 1800 throughout, well just one for a Harley and the fittings to mate with it was $70 dollars, on a 1800 you will need 7 cables. at least. Counting the one that comes back from the anti dive.

Kit
Yes, I do have ABS. The only thing I don't have is the airbag.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.