Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a question for all of you. The 1800 cooling fans run so that they pull air in thru the radiators from the sides and out the front of the fairing. They also are set to cut off at 15mph as the air pressure caused by the forward movement of the bike cancels out the fans. Many riders experience overheating on hot days at slow speeds between 16 and about 35 mph as in a traffic jam, or when pulling a trailer uphill, or at those slow speeds. I know the fans cannot be reversed, or swapped, and somehow increasing run time/mph would seem ineffective, but does anyone know of an after mrkt product/kit that might replace the fans and reverse the direction of flow and then increase the runtime/mph?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

If you pull a trailer, riding dbbl., up a 30 mile secondary logging road (more or less paved), at 10 to 15 mph, and a 90 degree day, I guarantee you, it will overheat. We did just that in Sept, and all 3 1800's got hot, and the 3 1500's never got off the normal point. We simply stopped, left them running, and they cooled down fairly good. I'm going to do my fans, someday, but I'm saving that job till it warms up, and I have my new rear spring/shock assy. It can be done, by reversing the motor leads, and reversing the fan blades. Simply reversing the blades won't do the job at all. In fact, it'll get worse.. We have to do a little modification at the fan hub to get this to work. Shouldn't be a big deal, other than the time it takes to get in there.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

YOu might want to read THIS..

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Very interesting article.

SDB, do you have any idea of the date of that article? I had thought from reading here and on other forums that the overheating problem was fixed at some point, but I don't know when, or if true.

I have never experienced it, but I have never had the combination of low speed and high temps that people talk of. We came close in the Black Hills last summer, but although the fan kicked in regularly, it didn't seem to be a problem.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:
Very interesting article.

SDB, do you have any idea of the date of that article? ....
No but his HOME PAGE would imply it was at or about 2004 or later.. Perhaps it has been fixed since then.... I was just aware of this fan article..

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

That's pretty much what I had in mind. I don't plan on doing the thermostat thing, but, I may add an override switch, as I am pretty good about watching gauges. That is a pretty decent article, done with FrontPage 5.0. That may help date it within a year or two. Or, you could search for him on GL1800riders board. He has a yellow sidecar avatar, if I remember right.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

The "THIS" website is exactly the mods I made to my GL1800 and it worked very well once I got the fan reostat set to the position I liked it at.

I did reverse my fans as shown. It took a couple of days of playing with this to get the job done, but I did take my time doing it during the winter months..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.