Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was riding my 'new' 2001 wing today and engine cut momentarily twice in about 10 seconds.

Lights came on the dash, they were ABS, Oil, HISS and F1.

Engine came back in both times immediately with no intervention from me. I was riding as about 45 MPH not accelerating hard, and the bike had been running for approx 1 hour in total.

Anyone got any ideas what might have caused this? Do I need to be worried?

thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

If that's the one you just bought, like I suppose it is, I take it back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Could be several things. First just for peace of mind change the main fuses. One might be bad.

Then could be ignition switch.

But I think it is the pulse rotors. Some of the older 1800's had problems with that and modified ones had to be installed. There is a recall out for this, so you could take your Vin number and get a dealer to check on it. Past the warranty though, I think it will be on you as far as cost.

Kit

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

If he just got it, I would think the dealer would share some of the cost. Even my 93 came with a limited 90 day warranty.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Bike came from the dealer with a 'no quibble' 30 day warranty. Covers everything apparently, no questions asked.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Just curious if you were low on fuel and picking up water in the tank. Just a thought. Oh--- welcome to your new family.:waving:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

AVA AUTO TECH wrote:
Just curious if you were low on fuel and picking up water in the tank. Just a thought. Oh--- welcome to your new family.:waving:
Thanks for the welcome :)

No, I had plenty of fuel. As far a water in the tank goes, that is an unknown. I rode it 150 ish miles home from the dealer and have done about 50 more miles since purchase on Mon.

Before that the bike had been sitting for an unknown length of time in the dealership, who put a 12 month MOT on last week.

I have just e-mailed the original dealer who sold the bike from new to ask them if they carried out the service recalls. It appears there were 2 covering my bike. The first for the springs in the engine kill switch, and the second in the pulse rotor casings.

If the recalls have not been done then I think we can narrow the suspects down to one of those two.

As I mentioned earlier, the dealer I bought from were boasting a no quibble 30 day guarantee, so it looks like they are going to have to sort it out at their expense.

C

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Strange one, get it back to the dealers, they should be able to check if the mods have been done as well

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

There are 2 recent threads about the kill switch being bad.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Do you have a link to the threads, or point me in the right direction please? I have not come across them and have been browsing lots. Ta:)

I e-mailed the original seller of the bike and they have told me there are no recalls outstanding on the chassis number I have given them, so from that I have to deduce that the recalls were carried out.

Guess it might just be a one off gremlin type thing possibly? (wishful thinking I reckon!) I will let the dealer know, just wanted a reply from the original seller first so I could tell whether the recalls had been sorted.

Only drawback is that the dealer I bought from is about three hours drive from where I live, and it's winter, and it rains a lot here in the winter, and it is very cold and the roads are really dirty, and I guess you get the picture by now:(

C

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I would definitely have the dealer take a wack at it. But it could be other things. Some have reported the same cut out, but only when they hit a small bump in the road. It turned out to be the side stand switch. Alsoafter 7 years, there may be a lose electrical coupler or pulled wire giving an intermittent "open" on a circuit.
The only other advice I would have is to not let the dealer say everything is OK and they:baffled: couldent find anything wrong, without extending the 30 day coverage they offered.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.